Chapter Twenty-Six

Error is too slow to stop it. Ink gives up the piece of himself that isn't Soul: the piece containing the majority of his magic and everything that makes him the Creator of AUs. Error is blinded and knocked back. By the time that he regains focus and looks up, Ink is nowhere in sight. Error felt Ink open a portal and leave just before the Creator lost the last of his magic. This next part will be dangerous and messy, but Error still wishes Ink could have stayed.

Staggering to his feet, Error has to stop for a moment to get used to this whirlwind of new energy inside him. In's magic hasn't left Error unchanged. All the cracks along his bones are filled with neon colors that stand out strikingly against the rest of his black bones. Ink is the Creator, but he's never been able to see the actual codes that make up the Multiverse. Error can, but he's only ever been able to rip them apart. As Error looks up, he can see the icy fingers beginning to sink into the Multiverse and start unraveling code. Fate is coming. She will rip this Multiverse to shred if something isn't done quickly.

There isn't enough time to build something from scratch, but with his own and Ink's magic, Error can break down the AU that he's in and recycle the code into something new. Error's eyes can see exactly what makes up Fate. Error can build something to keep all of it out. The AU around him begins to come undone. Destroying has always been easy, but Error is a little stunned as the code braids itself into something new. Ink's magic obeys perfectly to what Error has in mind. It's almost as if the magic has a mind of its own, trying to assist with the construction.

As Soul learned more about the Multiverse, he became angry at the unfair rules, but Error is angry, too. The Destroyer has been turned into the villain of every story. No matter how hard Ink has tried in every Multiverse, others are uneasy or outright hostile towards Error. Fate has twisted Error into a monster that he never wanted to be. More than that, Fate hurt someone who would literally destroy themselves for Error's sake. Error would do the same for Ink if given the choice. Now, for Ink and himself, Error will make sure that Fate can never touch them again.

Error can see the moment when Fate realizes that something is wrong. The barrier around the Multiverse is beginning to shove her out. Error can hear her screaming at him and Ink, but the magic does not falter. Fate screams and claws at the barrier desperately to no avail. She made a mistake when creating her two toys. Neither Error or Ink are strong enough to stand up to her, but since Ink gave up his magic, Error can at least keep her out. The Multiverse shudders. Those more sensitive to the going-ons of the bigger world can feel something tearing. Error can feel it as Fate's invisible chains snap and fall off himself and the wider Multiverse.

The pressure abruptly ceases. Error pants, trying to recover after using so much magic. He now stands in a distant spot in the Anti-void after the AU he was in became the Multiverse's shield. Error won't celebrate quite yet. He rallies his magic again to call out. Error gets a reply immediately and creates a portal to the AU. Outertale. On a grassy hill overlooking the void, Error finds Ink staring up at the stars.

"GeNesIs?"

"Encryption."

The two of them stand side by side and watch the stars. The battle is over, and they're both still here. They're free. This Multiverse will never reset. Ink and Error have lived through an uncountable number of Multiverses. They've lived many different lives in many different bodies. They were even lovers in a few of them. Neither of them could bare to try that again after the reset of one particularly long-lived Multiverse took a child from them. Their entire lives have been dictated by Fate, but now they are free.

"It's over now?" Ink asks quietly.

"NoT ovEr," Error argues, "OuR neW beginning."

"I've been broken for so long. My friends don't know me."

"I kNow yOu."

"I've........ I've done a lot of bad things this time around."

"We caN fix it. TogEther," Error says firmly. There's a lot of work to be done, but now Fate will never destroy their work ever again. "You'Re goinG to neEd youR magic baCk." Error holds out his hand.

Ink shies away from the offer. "I don't deserve it." Ink will have to take back his power one day, but Error will not push it now. They both need some time to process their newfound freedom.

Ink doesn't speak for a long while, but then says, "I didn't know why they had to be so perfect. These stars in Outertale. I spent so long working on them but I couldn't remember why. I've painted these same stars a thousand times, and they were always for you." He stops for a long time before continuing. "Are these stars going to be the ones that last?"

"THey wiLl be," Error promises without hesitation. He's sure of it now. This must be the happy ending.

Ink actually smiles. "Error?"

"YeAh?"

"There's one more thing that I want to do. The AU resets. They have to end. No more genocides." For many Multiverse, Ink has wanted to end the AU resets. Every time he attempted it, Fate would get upset and restart the Multiverse. Those deaths will forever weigh heavy on Ink's heart. Fate killed entire Multiverse for every mistake Ink and Error made. Now that she can't stop him, Ink will make sure that no one has to live through another genocide. His time as Soul has only made that goal more important.

"ThaT's the besT idea you'Ve had all cenTury. RiGht abOve the sLime AU," Error says the last part with as much sarcasm as possible. Ink and Error both laugh at that.

"What the FUCK is going on!?"

The two Gods jump in surprise and whirl around. A portal is just closing behind the new arrivals. Cross is supporting most of Nightmare's weight. The King of Negativity's wounds have been hastily patched up. His form has stabilized as half-corrupted, but the black corruption is nowhere near as runny as when Soul had been piloting Nightmare. He has also lot the third set of limbs. The old wound on the one side of Nightmare's face is covered in bandages to hide the grisly sight. Being part of the same balance, Dream also sensed the drastic shift in the Multiverse. He tracked Ink here to Outertale. Dream is still a little shaky on his feet. Neither of the twins are in a condition to fight, and they're more preoccupied with the fact that Ink and Error, sworn enemies, are apparently stargazing right after Multiverse quakes.

Nightmare squints. "Is that Soul?" The emotions don't feel exactly like Soul, but Nightmare can't think of a better explanation. "I leave for just a few minutes, and the Multiverse starts falling apart!"

Dream has spent a lot of time around Ink. As soon as the Guardian gets close, he can tell that something has changed. Dream stops in his tracks and stares in surprise. "Ink......... You-you have a soul."

"Oh, yeah," Ink chuckles awkwardly. "I may have found my soul a few minutes ago. Or, um, I found me? It turns out that I kinda ripped it out of myself right before this Multiverse was created. And then I lost it for a while. Anyway, I can tell you more about the balance now if you'd like."

Dream and Nightmare can only stare. It seems like the only thing keeping Cross standing is Nightmare's weight.

"I tHink you bRoke tHem," Error mutters.

"Did I?" Ink chirps. "Oh, and one more thing!" Ink loops one of his arm around Error's arm. "Anyone who attacks Error from now on has to go through me." Nightmare, Cross, and Dream's priceless expressions make Ink burst out laughing, and Error even cracks a smirk.

There's a lot of work to be done. The Multiverse is damaged and unbalanced, but Ink and Error finally have the chance to set things right. Together. The future is bright. This will be the world that lasts. Ink and Error's eternal nightmare is over. They are free, and they are here together just like it's always been.

This is their happy ending.