Chapter 8: Protectors

"So you're not going to talk about it?" I asked as we walked along the cliff. He had taken me up there so we could just talk. I liked talking to Jacob but after this morning and the reactions from Leah and Paul, I couldn't help but worry.

"Kat, I don't want to say anything. It wasn't important; it was just a mistake," he reminded me but I couldn't stop.

I sat at the edge of the cliff hoping he would talk to me. I looked out at the water. A storm seemed to heading our way but I wasn't in any hurry to leave. I could feel him walking closer to me and sat down.

"What do you want you know?" he asked.

I sighed. "Why did Leah call me a traitor?"

"She doesn't like any girls taking her boys away. She likes the attention on her at all times." He put his hand on my shoulder. "If you haven't noticed, you bring a lot of attention to yourself." I noticed him blush. "She's just jealous."

"Leeches? What does that mean?" I asked and I could feel his hand become tense at the thought of the two words I had just spoken.

"I have no idea..."

I shook his hand off and looked at him straight in the eyes. "Jacob? We're friends right?"

"Yeah, we are." I was ready to talk to he continued on. His eyes looked at me so warm and protective. "I do like you, Kat. We haven't seen much of each other but the first time we talked, you brought that light that had been taken away from me. It sounds corny and cheesy but I really needed you in my life."

"You helped me too, Jake. But the way everyone looks at me here, the way they react to me, seems like they think of me as her." He knew what I meant by saying 'her' but I still didn't say it.

"You're not her. You're Kat. I like that. Don't ever think you're like a replacement for her or anything like. You're not a replacement," he wishpered to me. He looked back out the cliff.

"I don't want comparisons..." I stated.

"That's not what I want you to feel. Don't you know me better than that?" he reminded. He started laughing.

"We hardly know each other!" I reminded him and looked at him. He continued to laugh.

As he stopped laughing, he kissed my forehead which seemed so puzzling and protective. "Why do you keep coming back here?"

"I've been here twice," I breathed.

He raised his eyebrow. "Why?" he repeated.

"You." I seemed puzzled by my own answer. Jacob was starting to become a big part of my life. I never let the guard down for anyone but Jacob made my wall crumble down. "I like spending time with you, I'm not going to lie."

"It's the muscles isn't it?" he joked while trying to flex his arms.

I bursted out laughing hurting his ego. He pouted. "Of course, Jake. It's definately the muscles."

"For someone so little and pretty, you are really evil," he stated. I blushed and he looked away. He constantly made me blush.

"Shouldn't you be scared of me then? I could hurt you, you know! Don't under estimate the power of short people!" I informed him but he just laughed. "Watch it, one day, I might just be stronger than you."

"I doubt that will ever happen!" he protested.

"You never know..." I told him an he didn't say anything.

"I hope not..." he stated as he seemed to remember something or someone.

"Bella was really important to you, wasn't she?" I whispered without thinking. I didn't expected him to talk because the whole subject seem to bother him; however, he got up from the ground.