Chapter 5: Family

Chapter 5: Family

"How was your day, Kat?" my dad asked as he entered the house. I was in the laundry room trying to finish some of the white clothes I had left. He locked the door and came to find me. He was wet from the pouring rain.

"It was okay," I confessed. It seemed hard to believe coming from me. He didn't question. He knew I spoke my mind so he wasn't going to say anything else.

"Did you make some friends?"

"I did. Want some dinner? I made steak and mashed potatoes."

"Sure. I'll just go change out of these wet clothes. I'll be done in a couple of minutes."

I finished the load and walked over to the Kitchen. I grabbed a plate out of the pantry and grabbed the plate full of food from the counter. I placed a steak and some potatoes on the plate and placed it on the microwave and hit START.

I brought my things back to the kitchen and decided to join my dad while I told him about my 'great' day.

He came down the stairs with new, drier clothes. He sat on the table and began to dig in.

"So who are some of your new friends?" he asked while he took a drink of water.

"Well, I was suppose to see the friends I met at La Push but they were busy. I went to see someone else from La Push."

Shock came across his face. "La Push?"

"Yeah, you heard about it?" I asked him. I knew this would be and interesting conversation to have with him.

"I've heard about it. I actually went down there today. I went to talk to some of the people there. There was a lot of fires that have been caused by boys in La Push. I had to go make sure everything was fine."

"Was it?"

"Yes. The kids were helping out with some forest fires, nothing to worry about."

"Who did you speak to?" I asked, trying to gain interest in the conversation.

"This man, Billy Black. I also spoke to his son, Jacob Black."

"That's my new friend from La Push and this guy named Sam, with his 'pack'," I said, as an inside joke.

"How did you know that?" he asked, shocked at my question.

"I met him down by the beach. The same day I met the kids from my future school," I repeated.

"Everyone says Jacob is a nice kid. He's really hard working and loves to build cars."

"Really?" I asked, shocked. Jake hadn't mentioned that. That was probably going to be surprise number two.

"Yes, but his father says he's been a little down for the past month. He said he lost one of his closest friends."

"I noticed that about him. He told me about some girl," I mentioned trying not to get too much into the conversation. I still remembered Jake's destroyed expression.

"Well, he is a good kid. His father just says he needs more friends to keep him busy."

"Do you know where he lives exactly?"

"Why?" his voice full of curiosity.

"Maybe I could help him get distracted. I don't mean as a love interest type because I know what runs through your mind dad. Maybe just a friend. We both have lots in common."

"Like what?" he said, annoyed.

"We both lost things we love. Jacob with the girl, and I lost part of my life," I joked.