Chapter 11 : He Grew On You

"Why did you do that?" So-Bin asked Yeo Jun with tears in her eyes as she applied ointment to his bloodied face.

"Because I hated it." Jun replied with a distant look in his eyes. "I hate that they were using you, as my friend to get to me."

So-Bin didn't know what to say.

She admitted.She was both scared and startled when Chun-Guk and Gung-Ho grabbed her at the festival, carting her off to their both talking going on and on about Yeo Jun. In the past few weeks, she had gotten closer to Yeo Jun but she couldn't say she knew him better than anyone else. There was something about him. He kept a kind of distance, even from the people he was close to.

"I'm sorry." he apologized to So-Bin again.

She shook her head. "It's fine. It wasn't your fault. They were just being ridiculous."

Jun didn't add anything else.

He felt a deep-seated annoyance as he thought about the situation.While he tried to be nice to everyone and that often came with a price, he did not appreciate being baited or forced to do things against his will.

"You should get some rest." So-Bin advised when she was finished tending to his wounds. "I'll check on you later."

Yeo Jun nodded and smiled at her. "Thanks."

Yeo Jun wasn't sure exactly when he'd fallen asleep but when he woke up, he was alone, So-Bin had left.

He retrieved his phone sitting on the table.

Nam Soo Hyun. 3 missed calls.

"Soo Hyun. Is something up?" he asked after redialling

[Are you alright?] Soo Hyun sounded worried

"Did you call me out of worry? Three times to be exact?" Yeo Jun countered 

Soo Hyun sighed in relief [I'm glad you're okay.]

Next the line went dead.

Yeo Jun looked at his phone.

"What was that?" he spoke to himself  "He actually worried about me"  That thought brought a smile to his face.

The next day

Yeo Jun picked up the black book that with the letters NSH written in bold letters on the cover.

"I forgot to give this back to him."

Picking up his phone he dialled.

The phone rang once.

[Yes?] Soo Hyun's voice came on the line

"What? You answered on the first try." Jun was surprised. "I thought I had to leave three missed calls too."

Jun could hear Soo Hyun's sigh on the line. [I'm hanging up.]

"But I'm sick." Jun pouted.

[You sound perfectly healthy] Soo Hyun replied. [If you have nothing else to say--]

"I do" Jun was quick to say "You're never a patient one are you?"

[What's this about?]

"Are you free tomorrow?" Jun asked "I have something for you."

[I'm busy] Soo Hyun replied. In the next second, the line went dead.

Yeo Jun looked at his phone, a little smile budding on his lip. "I was hoping to hang up first." He thought of the expression Soo Hyun must be wearing at that very moment. Looking at the book he spoke to himself "Maybe I shouldn't give it back."  He turned the black book over a few times. "Couldn't he have bought it in a brighter colour?" But he knew the answer to that. This book suited Soo Hyun's personality very well, any other colour and it would not have been a good fit.