CHAPTER 3

IT WAS AN UNSPOKEN RULE. They told no one about meeting together and they always met at night. Sanee explained to Adera what was happening on land and how the other lands were all fighting, not just against the mermen but each other. When Sanee told Adera about his role in his kingdom as chieftain, she wasn't sure how to react.

"My father would never permit such a unity. He sees anyone who is not red as the enemy and you don't unite with an enemy."

"When my enemy is my friend, there is nothing to fear only lives to mend," Adera said in her poetic way.

"I agree, but when your father always gets his way, there's nothing to do until you are chieftain yourself. I won't be chieftain until I marry and my father steps aside. This might be soon or many years to come."

Adera nodded. She did her best to teach Sanee how to sing in the way of the Majiwanos. To say he sounded like a wounded beast was being kind. He had no sense of tone, but the signs came easy to him. She understood most of his words now.

She spoke her next words with his hand on hers and her eyes on his. "When you love your enemy, is he not now your friend? Can a playmate ever be more than a friend, when you desire more in the end, will you find in him your soulmate?" She almost choked on the words before they were out. There was nothing they didn't say to each other or share. But this was the first time she doubted his response. Sanee seemed to understand her declaration and lifted her chin so they stared into each other's eyes.

When his lips parted, she saw what was coming.

She'd seen it done but never experienced it herself.

His lips touched hers, warm and inviting.

Her own cold lips welcomed the warmth as it traveled to her belly.

"Sanee loves Adera with his whole heart. They shall live together and never part," he said. It was the most melodic thing he'd ever said. Something inside her burst with joy at the thought of them being together forever.

She kissed him again, this time with more boldness, and he held fast to her. They couldn't stop touching each other and they were still kissing each other until they reached the beach the next morning.

"I must go away for a short time. In three days, I will return and we will reunite right here."

"In three days' time, you will be mine," she said. She stepped into the water but didn't let go of his hand until she could no longer reach his fingertips. Adera walked backward so she didn't have to take her eyes off of him as she slipped into the sea. When she reached the sand's cliff, she let her legs solidify into one fin. The sharp pain that stabbed at her heart had nothing to do with the change. She didn't want to leave, never wanted to leave. Did he have the same sharp pain in his chest, an echo of the one she carried? Still watching him, she saw him lift his hands.

"I love you, my mermaid."

"I love you, my walker," She signed back to him.

The sun rising to the right touched the water's surface the glimmer would expose her. She had to go. Her heart soared as she dove down into the cold depths, and away from the rising heat of the sun.