CHAPTER 19

A BELL TOLLING IN THE square got the attention of all five. They moved fast, gathering their things and running from the center of town toward the bell. The rest of the people dancing in the streets didn't seem to take notice of the bell at all. There was no change in their behavior.

"Should we be worried?" Poge asked.

"I'm worried," Jiden said.

"I'm concerned," Neke said.

"There's the bell." Sanee noted a few others moving in the same direction.

Adera held fast to his hand, and was able to keep pace with him.

When they reached the tower, a small group of people, all various colors, gathered, rushing around, giving and taking directions.

Remy stood in the middle of them all.

"What's going on here?" Sanee asked. "What is the significance of the bell?"

"We are preparing to defend our southeast border. There are a group of soldiers marching on us from Chilali." The young woman pulled her long red hair back away from her face and strapped on her bow.

"Why? I mean what do they want?"

"They want the land. Just like everyone else. It's the largest occupied piece of habitable unclaimed land and it sits right up against more unclaimed land, and water. Its borders touch Karmir, Tero, Joro, and Chilali. It's ideal. That's why most of us came here. The leaders of the other lands are figuring that out."

Sanee adjusted his own weapons. "Where is your army?"

"Army?" She laughed. "I keep forgetting you're new. There is no army. We don't even have fighters. You've seen the welcoming party?"

"Who are they?" an older man asked, stepping into the circle. He seemed to be the oldest man around. His long white beard and wrinkled bald head stood out in the crowd of young people.

"I'm Sanee, royal prince of the Karmirian. My friends are Adera, Poge, Neke and Jiden."

"I am called Elrem. Remy, whom I believe you've met, is my granddaughter."

"Sorry to cut short the introductions," Remy said. "I'm needed at the border. You can help us if you like but I warn you, it's not easy to defend this place against your own people. We've lost some. Many who come up against their own kind don't have the heart to fight them. Instead, they just give up."

"I can't imagine giving up this kind of life," Jiden said.

"I want to help," Neke said standing at attention.

"Grab your things and let's go," Remy said, then looked to Sanee. "If you're up to it, any help you can offer would be appreciated. You handled the southwest border incident well. Remember what we talked about?"

Sanee nodded.

Remy had asked him to become the leader of their fighters on the spot. He'd declined. He hadn't wanted to fight anyone anymore. He was ready to find a safe place for him and Adera to settle.

However, Remy made an excellent point: if he didn't help protect the place, they'd end up in the same situation they'd tried so hard to escape. The situation yesterday had been different, he'd been speaking as a prince to his own people. Could he do the same thing with the people from Chilali? He'd try and if he failed, he'd help make their stand.

Sanee turned to go, determined. They wouldn't take this away from him and, unlike the others who'd come before him, he would fight anyone to keep Adera safe.

"Sanee, please wait it out. I am afraid, my heart filled with doubt."

"Adera," he'd forgotten her fear of conflict. He reached out and touched her face as he'd done after finding her. "I'll be fine. Stay back here with the others and I'll return by dinner time."

"No, you don't understand." Adera shook her head to stop the rhyming. "This is not right. You mustn't make this stand. Fighting your people, our people, it won't bring us peace at night."

"What do you want me to do? Dance in the streets like my kinsmen?" He gestured with his head toward the party that still went on, oblivious to what was coming. "They have no honor, we must protect our home or we'll lose it."

"Perhaps, but this isn't the way, there is another and we should wait a day." She tugged at his coverings as she pleaded with him.

"While they press our borders, I cannot wait. I'll be back, before it's too late." Sanee wasn't sure she understood. He pulled away from her and Adera looked at him as if he'd betrayed her.

"These are our people. Don't hurt them, Sanee, or you won't ever find peace," She spoke slowly and deliberately.

Remy pulled him along by the cape. He turned to leave, but Adera's words rang in his heart. When he looked back, there was a sadness in her eyes that he wished he hadn't caused.