Chapter 8: Andro

Andro...

I got a notification that Lois Castro has accepted my friend request.

I anticipated her messages as I did with other people whose friend requests I accepted or who accepted mine. Normally, in this situation, my inbox would be overflowing with messages, but after two days, I had not heard from her. She's different, I said to myself. As a result, I continue doing my daily activities without thinking about her.

I can say that at this point, I have more control over my social media accounts, including the ability to respond to messages and accept friend requests. I already don't feel obliged to reply to all messages I get or answer right away.

_________

After a couple of days, the classes begin and I became busier. This time, I'm having a  complicated teaching load, and the pressure I put on myself in terms of my research presses me. But with that fact, I was able to handle it. Until one day, when I thought that I got everything covered and under control, our department director called my attention.

I went to his office right after our lunch break and when I enter, he was there waiting for me already with a serious face. I was wondering what happened, or what have I done. Our Department heads wouldn't call us for something unimportant.

"Mr. Mercado, your teaching ratings are extremely poor," he said after a formal greeting."You have to pay attention to this, many students have been complaining about you" His words make me sit up straight.

"To be honest, sir, I haven't looked at my evaluation"

"I understand, but before it reaches the administration, check and see what you can do better" he suggested.

"Ye sir. Thank you,"  after that, I left his office grimly.

I am aware that my Latino accent occasionally makes it difficult for me to teach, especially here on the mainland. And here, students can express their opinions by giving their ratings to their professors, and usually, they refer to my accent as thick. This idea for me is a positive thing. I just need to improve my strategy and method of teaching approach without compromising its quality.

"Why the long face, my friend" My companion Paolo queries, we were in our office getting ready for our classes.

I lowered my head and said, "I have very low ratings." Paolo is one of the nicest companions I have, and also the best professor there is in terms of teaching.

"Your standard is just too high Dro." Mike joined our conversation. Most people here at work referred to me as Dro.

"I just want to teach high-quality education, that's all." I tried to reason out.

"You are doing well, Perhaps you can change your exam a little, Make it not too hard for them to pass," Owen suggested.

Paolo lightly tapped my shoulder and said, "I will help, my friend. Don't worry about it"

True to his word, Paolo guided me and gave me advice on how to effectively manage my students.

In the following days, I notice an improvement in everything, including how my students are already asking questions—a significant development for me because it indicates that they are beginning to comprehend the subject.

_____________

Ten days have passed since my friend
request was accepted. I finally received
a short message from Lois stating;

Good evening, by the way, thank you for adding me, Sir..:-)

When I read her message, my heart leaps
because I can immediately tell that she's different compared to others. She didn't inquire about my relationship status. I felt like this is the exact message I needed after long days of work.