Chapter 5

The journey seemed endless; Kara was exhausted. The eleven-hour flight from Los Angeles to Paris, the five-hour layover before catching the connecting flight to Toulouse, followed by another hour and a half flight. Wanting to spare the dark-haired head resting on her shoulder from the bus and train journey to Cordes, Kara paid for a taxi to cover the last hundred kilometers.

Kara's face lit up as she saw the joyful expression of Bethany on the intercom screen, suitcase in hand. Her happiness grew even more when she opened the door, and Bethany practically jumped into her arms.

"Kara! I'm on vacation! The photos and the interview are done, thank you for waiting for me before leaving. I was afraid of getting lost with all your directions. I checked online, the duration of the journey is like a trip to the end of the world."

Kara warmly embraced Bethany, taking in her floral scent. Even without makeup, she was stunning. Her short, tousled black hair, her lips drawn by a true artist, her hazel eyes reflecting her excitement about going to France.

"I thought you'd never arrive. We still have a few hours before heading to the airport, do you want a drink or something to eat?"

Bethany answered with a playful smile, "Can I go pee first?"

Kara laughed.

"Harper! You don't have to ask me. When you're here, you make yourself at home, you know that."

"Yeah... I know. A remnant of upbringing, I suppose," she chuckled, relieving herself without closing the bathroom door, continuing to chat.

"Are you ready to conquer the Languedoc?" Kara asked enthusiastically.

"Absolutely. Thank you for taking me with you, Kara," Bethany hugged her again. "No one has ever invited me like this. It feels strange."

"It's their loss; I'm taking my best friend because I love her."

Bethany, touched, said tenderly, "Awww, you're sweet, Kara."

During the taxi ride to the terminal, Bethany didn't stop talking for a single second. She had an opinion on everything, absolutely everything. Whether it was politics, cartoons, science, history, the weather, or even the best way to remove a wine stain from fabric, Bethany had an answer ready. It was as if she was training to participate in Jeopardy!*. However, Kara understood her friend's nervousness and did her best to keep the journey in the background of Bethany's mind.

If the flight to Paris went smoothly, with chatter, movies to watch, and meals to savor, the lack of sleep and the wait for the connecting flight were starting to wear down Kara's patience and significantly testing Bethany's.

The following hour and a half to Toulouse gave some energy back to the duo, but it was the taxi ride that both amazed and exhausted Bethany. However, her irritation and fatigue vanished as soon as they entered the village. It had been built eight hundred years ago on the steep slopes of a mountain. Kara knew that Bethany was going to fall in love with this place, with its cobblestone streets, stone houses, and breathtaking views. The buildings, the stones—everything about this heritage that didn't exist in her own culture, in the city where she had spent most of her life before arriving in Los Angeles—hadn't prepared her for this. Just the realization that the medieval village was eight hundred years old left her speechless. The driver parked in front of an iron gate and helped them with their suitcases, thanking them for the tip. Bethany stood in awe, staring at the L-shaped house with pale pink walls, two stories tall, blue shutters, and a small courtyard filled with flower pots.

"Remember, Lexi doesn't exist here, Harp. I work as an accountant for Universal. Oh, also. They used to call me Caro, Caroline before.

"All right. And me?"