Chapter 38

Faced with Maeve's lack of cooperation, Antonin proceeded to the next step of his madness. He filmed Maeve being tortured and sent the video to Lexi Heart's agent. Andrew received an urgent alert from his panicked assistant, who still screened the mail for potential threats from fans or individuals outraged by the pornography industry, especially neo-Christians.

He called Kara and immediately regretted it, aware of the bonds that tied Bethany and Maeve, the same bonds that linked him to Kara. Their relationship went beyond that of an agent and an actress; it was a profound friendship.

Bethany watched Kara. She had rarely seen her so nervous. Kara ran her hand through her hair several times, giving it, despite the situation, a disheveled look that stirred desire in Bethany. The latter did her best to contain the anger welling up inside her.

"It's my fault," Bethany blamed herself as soon as she recognized Antonin.

"But no, I'm the one who hit him first, Harp. It's my fault. I will go, he's after me for revenge.

"Then why did he take Maeve? He wants me, because you're with me. He wants to get to you through me. I will go, I will save her!" Bethany vowed, rising to her feet, her eyes fixed on the frozen image of Maeve, her face contorted in pain.

Kara knows there's nothing that can stop Bethany now, an adrenaline rush courses through her veins. Her gaze is dark, filled with anger. The aura emanating from her sends shivers down Kara's spine. For the first time in years, she feels genuine fear. The fear of losing everything. The past few months have been the happiest of her life, and she's on the verge of seeing it all crumble. There's no reasoning with Bethany; she's facing the Bethany Kara always suspected existed, the one that emerged after the assaults, the one who built herself in hatred before meeting her and finding light again. This old version of Bethany, coupled with the one who's learned to fight, terrifies her.

Kara locks eyes with Andrew and gives him her instructions. He's to pick up the girls when the restaurant closes, come up with any excuse to explain their absence, and if they don't return, he's to take care of Abigail and Tilly, giving them access to all their belongings and looking out for them. Andrew can only nod; there's no room for discussion now. Kara walks him to the door, hugs him, and thanks him for all the years they've spent together before closing the door.

Bethany is in her room, changing into an all-black outfit. She then strides purposefully to her garage, Kara watching in panic.

"Wait for me, Harper," she says, trying to hold her back. But Bethany breaks free with a sharp gesture, entering her garage. She slips a chain lock into a bag on her Harley, then retrieves a telescopic steel baton from a dusty box. "Bethany!" Kara calls coldly, entering the garage, which freezes Bethany in place.

"Don't try to stop me, Kara. Maeve needs me!"

"I can't let you go alone, Harper. Wait for me, let me change too."

Bethany straddles her bike and starts it up.

"Bethany Harper Boswell! If you leave without me, it's over. There's no more 'us', our story ends right here," she says in English. "You will never see me again."

"Kara..."

"YOU. WAIT. FOR. ME!" she asserts coldly, slowly pulling out of the garage.

It doesn't take long for Kara to return, dressed entirely in black, her hair tied back, and dark makeup framing her eyes. Approaching Bethany, she instructs her to close her eyes and applies two black streaks before wiping her hands on her pants.

"Do you have something for me?"

"Kitchen knives in the left pouch."

"Good. The plan?"