Chapter 23

A string of Christmas lights encircled the room, casting a soft, muted glow and infusing a festive atmosphere. The walls were adorned with childhood mementos, reflecting Kara's tastes and dreams from her teenage years. She had pulled a few pillows from her closet, and the four girls settled into a circle, whispering amongst themselves. The two English girls had a desire to discuss what had happened earlier, but they knew the topic was best avoided. Tilly vehemently avoided broaching the subject, understanding it wouldn't be well received. Abigail chose to divert the attention by bringing up the day they spent in Carcassonne, a rare moment when she had genuinely felt happy. Feeling proud of herself, she made a decision.

"Titi, I'm going back with you," Abby declared with determination.

Tilly, taken aback, asked, "What do you mean, going back where?"

"To Brighton, with you," Abby repeated.

Tilly was perplexed. "But why?"

"Your family needs you. You can't leave them in anguish any longer, Tilly. That's selfish. But... I care about you, so I'm going to go back with you and face whatever awaits me. It's the right thing to do," Abby explained gently.

Tilly, her eyes glistening, asked timidly, "Will you stay with me? I don't want to lose you, Abby."

Abby took a deep breath and answered sincerely, "I don't know what's going to happen, but if I can stay by your side, I will. You understand that you have to go back, right?"

Tilly nodded, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Yes, Abby."

Kara and Bethany were smiling, Tilly's problem was being solved.

"Girls, here," Kara said, handing them a piece of paper. "These are our contact details. You can reach out to us in various ways. Abby, we have a proposition, it's not certain, it's just an idea, okay? I might be able to get you fake papers. A new name. A new life. You could come with us to Los Angeles. You won't have to run anymore, search for a place to sleep, wonder if you'll have food."

"Abby," Bethany continued. "We're considering opening a business, though we don't know what or where yet. But we want you to join us. We will keep you with us if you want."

"But... what about Tilly?" she asked, gripping her best friend's hand tightly.

"It's a heart-wrenching choice, I know. But understand that the police will need to talk to you regarding the assault on your stepfather, but you saved Tilly from harm, and that will work in your favor. You can try to find a job to stay close to Tilly, for sure. You have two choices. We support both of you, girls.

"Abby?" Tilly asked softly, "You know I love you, right? I think it would be selfish to force you to come with me. The police... you're going to have a criminal record. I... yes, Kara, Bethany. If I go back and things go well with my parents, if I explain to them that I want to move forward in my life, could I come join you and work with you too?"

"Kara, what if we opened a restaurant? Tilly, you enjoy cooking, don't you?"

"Yes, I even have a culinary degree."

"Alright! Count me in on this idea, Harp. We open a restaurant, establish employment contract, and Tilly can apply for a work visa since she will have a contract."

"Sounds good, a restaurant it is," confirmed Bethany. "All girls, it will end up like Coyote Ugly*!" she joked. "We can't fight the moonlight**, girls! Tilly, we're counting on you!"

"Abby? What do you want to do? Go back with Tilly, or should I look for a new identity and you come with us?"

"Titi?" the concerned one asked, suddenly becoming the center of attention.