Chapter 9

"Look, Kara!" Bethany get carried away, turning towards her. "What is this?"

"That's the Cathedral of Albi, Bethany," Sophie replied with a smile. "It was built over two centuries from 1280 to 1480. It's a true masterpiece of Gothic architecture. Look at its imposing pillars, its soaring vaults. It's a real marvel."

Bethany stood in awe of the grandeur and beauty of the cathedral. Her eyes traced the intricately carved details in the stone, the colorful stained glass windows that filtered enchanting light, and the impressive height of the vaults that seemed to touch the sky.

"Wow! It's like in 'The Pillars of the Earth.*' It's incredible! And what's that? What's this massive building?" she asked, pointing at a nearby imposing structure.

"That's the Palais de la Berbie, the former palace of the bishops, built in the 13th century," Sophie explained enthusiastically. "Today, it's a museum dedicated to the famous painter Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. This building houses an impressive collection of his works."

Bethany was swept away by the history emanating from each stone; she imagined the events that had unfolded in these places and appreciated the significance of their cultural heritage.

"You know, Sophie," she said, turning to her personal guide, "I come from Ashton, Iowa. The town was founded in 1900 and has only two hundred residents. I've never experienced anything like this," she said, gazing at the city and its landmarks with wonder. "There are just fields everywhere. I used to work in the fields after school; I couldn't continue my education after high school because I had to help my family on the farm. My first trip, my only trip, was to France with my French class. My Grandma secretly helped me pay for it. I've always been curious, read a lot in school. And all of this," she explained, gesturing to the city and its architectural treasures, "I've never known. It's History, real History. It existed long before America did. I love it."

"Your Grandma must love you very much, Bethany," Sophie said, touched by the young woman's story.

"Yes, she loved me very much."

Emotions welled up in Bethany as she thought of her beloved Grandma. She wiped away a fleeting tear and abruptly turned her head, sniffling.

Kara glared sternly at her mother through the rearview mirror, who didn't quite understand what had just transpired but sensed that the topic was to be avoided. Kara unbuckled her seatbelt and leaned forward, sliding her arms on either side of the seat to embrace Bethany. Uttering a silent "Mom" while looking at her, she conveyed that certain subjects were off-limits.

"We can explore Old Albi by the banks of the Tarn River, that's the name of the river that runs through the city. You'll see old half-timbered houses, ancient stone bridges, and a lovely view of the cathedral," Sophie continued, aiming to dispel the heavy silence that had settled in the car.

"Thank you, Sophie," Bethany composed herself, wiping away her tears.

"We can also visit the Fernasse House," Kara chimed in with a smile.

"It's a Romanesque house from the 12th century," Sophie explained. "And we will have lunch at the covered market. There's so much to discover here."

"Sorry for crying. I'm really happy to be here," Bethany said softly but sincerely.

Sophie offered her a benevolent smile and placed her hand on Bethany's, silently showing her support.

After parking the car at the hospital's parking lot, the trio made their way to Kara's grandmother's room. Her face lit up immediately upon seeing her granddaughter, her complexion visibly improving.