Chapter XI - Late Night Propositions

Before nightfall, Oliver had taken the time to put a bit more work into the portrait of Elijah. Having spent just two hours in the designated art room, he managed to perfect the boy's rosy red hair and very detailed facial construction. With every brush stroke, the boy looked more and more realistic. Two or three, maybe four more days and it would be complete and ready for display.

Oliver wasn't alone in the room. Although he gave no permission to anyone aside from Jasper to see the process of the incomplete painting, Quinn was on the other side of the room lying down at the cushioned window seat. Rain streamed down the glass, and Quinn drew figures into the cold fog at his fingertips. "It is quite strange, isn't it?" he said, "I would have never thought the great Jasper Lancechester would be capable of hiding such a secret. Then again, he is the great Jasper Lancechester, someone such as he must truly be capable of anything. Perhaps even murder."

Blotting a bit of white into the painting's eyes to add the illusion of light reflection, Oliver stepped back to look over the direction of the stare. He wanted to be extra sure the gaze wasn't crooked in any way. "You would think the Master a murderer?"

Quinn sat up, wiping his stick figures off the wet surface. "Certainly not, I only say that I would not be the least bit staggered to find out he could get away with something such as murder. I, myself, happen to know a great deal of people who would joyfully dispose of anyone for a price."

Looking passed the easel, Oliver narrowed his blue eyes, and said, "You know murderers?"

Quinn smirked and he sketched flowers of all sizes into the fog on the window this time. "My sweet olive, I have come across many people you could not even begin to fathom. Assassins, robbers, black market operators, I even know a few places where people like you and I can be open with others. When you travel for the majority of your life, you run into a lot of very interesting fellows."

"You mean dangerous people?" Oliver stated. "There is nothing interesting about homicide, theft, and illegal trades. You should not associate yourself with people like that. They could backfire and get you into immeasurable trouble."

Quinn gave Oliver a look from over his shoulder, "Whatever you say, mother." He dried his hands on the front of his black slacks and turned his back to the window. He watched Oliver put the finishing touches on the portrait this evening, wondering what the face of this person looked like. He'd tried to get a look of the large sketch Oliver was using as reference, but he wasn't even allowed to lay eyes on that. "All in good time," the blond boy had said.

"Are you about finished for the night?" Quinn asked. "It is getting late and I would not mind ravaging you before bed. It has been a long day."

Oliver put a little more shading around the soft curve of Elijah's nose before cleaning up. "There you are with that 'ravage' again," he said, "What on Earth does that mean?"

"Come here, Oliver."

By the firm tone in Quinn's voice, Oliver looked up at the other boy. He was standing at the window, hands tucked into his back pockets. His black hair fell in a swooped frame around his face and sat long upon his shoulders. With his eyes fixed on him, the blond boy felt his throat dry and he crossed the room.

Quinn looked down into Oliver's sky blue eyes, they were inquiring and shy, the same as they had been when the two of them were innocent children, but that innocence had escaped Quinn's being not long ago. He brought his lips to Oliver's, hearing the quiet gasp the blond boy let out when he stole the kiss. His tongue slid past Oliver's lips, claiming the appetizing savor for himself. Breaking the connection, Quinn looked upon Oliver's entranced face, and said, "It means I want to make love to you."