Chapter XVII - On the Road Again

The hour had come for all the guests to leave, and everyone began to file out of the Lancechester manor and away from the property. They all stepped into their own coaches, and were whisked away from the festive, exciting night. Among the departing were Oliver and Quinn with their parents. Once, they had dreaded having to leave such a blitheful paradise, but now that they knew what plans they had, leaving behind these walls was a little easier.

Stood at the entrance to the manor, Oliver waited for his parents to finish their conversation with Master Jasper and Lady Darcy; the regal pair filling Mr. and Mrs. Dollins with appreciation for allowing Oliver to come out this far for his work.

When Oliver glanced over his shoulder to the drive, he noticed Quinn and his parents getting into their own coach. For a moment, Quinn looked up the steps at Oliver, offering a hopeful smile to him. The dark-haired boy crossed his fingers discreetly and then stepped into the rear of the coach, and before Oliver knew it, he was gone, down the path they would both be taking home.

As the horse-drawn coach began to disappear into the fog rolling in, Oliver turned back to his parents and the Lancechester's. "You raised a splendidly well-mannered son," the Master said, "Oliver was a delight to have here. I do hope his talents with a brush take him further in this life. One with such ability deserves to be recognized."

Thomas Dollins shook Master Jasper's hand with gratitude, his grip seeming a little rough, but the Master did not appear bothered by it. "I am pleased to know you have been satisfied, my lord. If ever you require anything at all from my family, do not be afraid to ask. I, myself, am an educated architect, so if you ever need anything constructed, I could be of assistance in design and planning."

Master Jasper seemed to be waiting for Thomas to release his hand and nodded that he understood. "I will be sure to keep the name of Dollins in mind," he promised. "You all have a safe trip to Southampton." And then he recalled something. "Pardon me, Oliver, would you follow me for a moment?"

Leaving his parent's side, Oliver went with Jasper into the manor. They traveled back to Master Jasper's office. There were still maids and servants running about the halls, all tending to their cleaning, and Oliver was sure they'd all leave once everything was spotless.

Slipping into the office space, there was a small, green velvet purse with a golden string tying it shut. When the Master scooped it off the surface of the desk, he held it out to Oliver, and said, "I never properly thanked you for what you've done for me. I know it is more than likely you do not understand the kind of man I am, and truly I hope you never will, for I do not wish such despair upon another, especially someone as you or Quincy. You have my best wishes that you continue into this life the way you hope. I may have not been able to live out my life with the one I loved, but there is still that hope for you. Please, Oliver, keep Quincy close and always remember what you two have. Love is a sentiment that should be taken with stride and caution. Watch over Quincy and the decisions he makes, calm him, guide him, but do not let him go. Cherished things are easily taken when your guard is let down. Promise me you will do as I have asked."

Weighing the heavy payment in his palm, Oliver nodded with assertion. "I promise, my lord."

"Good," Master Jasper started out of the office, nearly running into Timothy who appeared to be looking for him.

Oliver saw that the man seemed a bit tired as he breathed heavily. A faint scent of fire hung on his clothing, and there was a dash of sweat dotted onto his forehead, dark curly hair partially drenched as well. "It is done," Timothy said, "The body has been disposed of."

Lowering his head, Oliver said, "Goodbye, Master Jasper. I pray one day you will find peace and happiness again."

He left the two men behind and headed back outside to his parents. Darcy saw them off, waving farewell as their coach disappeared as well. One day, he thought, perhaps he would come and visit them again.