Chapter 4

After the dealership I felt on edge from having seen Michael, I was sure even though he had said he wouldn't tell anyone about me being in town that he wouldn't be able to keep it to himself for long. To many people would be asking questions now that he had fired someone, I went to the mall since I knew they had one of those big baby stores and figured I would be able to get most of what I would need there and what I couldn't get there I would go to the walmart. Even with the fight at the start of the dealership things had actually gone faster than I had planned for so I was ahead of schedule and I didn't need to go look for a trailer either so that helped a lot. But now it was going to be a while before I would make it back to the hospital because two kids would need a lot of stuff and I wanted to make sure I got as much of the stuff that I thought they would possibly need. It would be much harder in the future to go shopping for things with two small children. 

Once I got to the baby store I was so out of my element that I could feel the panic set in and I was sure the panic was evident on my face because one of the sales associates came up to me with a kind smile on her face. "Hello, can I help you find something? Are you looking for a gift, or planning to start a registry?" She glanced at my stomach clearly unsure if I was here for myself or not. 

"Umm , I do need help quite a bit of help actually but its not for a gift or registry. My mother who I haven't seen in the last four years just passed away leaving me responsible for my two half siblings, who are 2 years and 2 days old. Unfortunately they don't have anything at all right now so I need to get everything. I have the money that is no object but I don't exactly know everything that a baby or toddler needs. While they are still at the hospital and I have a nurse watching them I wanted to get as much as I could before heading home since I don't even live in Greensville. I just recently purchased an SUV and I have a trailer which is enclosed it has my motorbike in it but it still has lots of room since I know I will need to get some bigger items. I had been looking online so I think I know some idea of what I need but if you could help fill in the gaps and be honest of which products work best that would be great." I spoke quickly and could see her blink stunned and wondered if I had been talking to fast or too much. 

"Oh my dear, I am so sorry for your loss but bless your heart for taking care of those babies. I can help you with all this dear don't you worry. Lets get started because even though babies don't need a whole lot compared to what people recommend they do need some stuff and since your starting from nothing it will be a whole lot at one time. Usually people buy this kind of stuff over a period of time and also do baby showers so some of it is gifted." 

I nodded but that just wasn't an option for me and I expected it to be a lot of stuff. We started with the big items first, two car seats, I choose both the same only in different colours the grow as you go since Thane was still so small and not very heavy I figured he would still need to be rear-facing once she explained the research and limits to all of that. I also choose the ones on swivel bases that made it  easier getting the kids in and out, which was a convenience thing but honestly convenience would be my best friend for the next while. She had them placed at the front of the store starting a pile for me since the store had small carts and pallet carts for transporting the bigger stuff but nothing intended for large bulk buying like me. 

I choose two cribs, both in a deep espresso that looked almost black and they both had the option to change into a toddler bed and than a double bed as well. I got two sets of bedding for both of them as well as the mattresses, and mattress protectors. I got a few extra sheets as well since I knew that it was best to change and clean those regularly. I had to get preemie clothes for Talia, which i got a few little outfits but mostly sleepers since they just looked comfy and the woman said it was so much easier than actually trying to dress young babies. I also got some of the newborn since she said babies tended to grow fast and would grow out of the preemie stage usually faster than one expected. I got clothes for Thane as well since he was so small he still was in 12-18 month clothing and i got some of the just 18 month clothing since it was a little bit bigger as well for when he started gaining weight himself. I had used a piece of paper to trace his foot while he slept so I had some idea of what size of shoes to buy him i tried to find ones that would fit and not be too big or too tight. Next I got bottle's and sippy cups, kids plates and utensils, even though Talia didn't need that right now I got both boys and girls stuff since she would need it eventually anyways. Bibs, soothers, a few toys for both of them, bottle warmer, diaper thing for the used ones. A play pen, a bassinet, a swing, a thing called an exersaucer, diaper bag. Snack cups, two highchairs, and a booster seat for a regular table since I wasn't sure what Thane would need. Stroller that could sit both of them, and with that I was finally done at this store. The girl wrote down a list of things that she recommended I get at Walmart she offered to let me purchase some of the smaller items there as well since it would be cheaper but I knew that she made commission on the sales here and I would rather her benefit from helping me rather than just spending money at a big company that didn't really care about its employees.