25. 𝔸 ℕ𝕖𝕨 ℍ𝕠𝕞𝕖 2.0

I finished my shower quickly and put my clothes on even quicker. I stopped at the door to make myself look somewhat presentable for Ms. Yamanaka.

"Are you really sure it'll be okay?" Kei asked in a nervous voice. "Us staying here like this?"

I walked in. He had his head turned, rocking back and forth on his knees. He was probably stalking Ms. Yamanaka in the kitchen. I took a seat across from the nervous boy. He paid me no mind and continued to be cautious even though we were obviously safe here. I mean come on! If the ex-military chick knows it's okay to settle down, why can't a mere teenage boy do the same?

Or maybe that's just a stain that I left with from the American army. They trained us to relax but get the adrenaline rushing by the sound of a gunshot. I finched as Ms. Yamanaka's voice brought me away from remembering how many times that exact situation happened in the army. And how many times Samuel T. Owen cackled shooting his gun at the front lines. Kei noticed. He did nothing but he noticed. 

"Ugh, it's fine. After all, you and (Y/n) not only helped me get back home but you brought my things in too."

"Thank you so much," Kei said with a little chuckle. 

"Yeah, thanks Ms. Yamanaka. We appreciate your hospitality." I agreed with the bug-type boy in front of me. 

Kei looked down and let his eyes dart from left to right. Already, after thanking the kind woman for letting us stay here, he looked unhappy again. Wary, more like. Planning and making simulations over and over again, asking himself what would he do to make sure he got out safe. To make sure he could survive. 

Before I even had the chance to call out his frown, Ms. Yamanaka sat down. 

"Here you are. Sorry I don't have anything better to offer."

She swiped down four bowls from a tray for me and Kei. Then I realized that the TV had been blaring loudly. Even though now that I registered that it was on, t was only background noise for me. I wasn't processing the TV's sound fully. We were all suddenly paying attention when we heard a female voice. 

"And now for our next story!"

I looked up at the small flatscreen in that corner. The woman carried on and Kei picked up his tea to drink. There was this very upbeat music playing in the background. 

"The search for Kei Nagai; an Ajin who escaped from the Research Facility three days ago is still underway." As soon as he heard his name, he spat out his tea and stared at Ms. Yamanaka in fear. 

"Along with him is another Ajin that we are referring to here as a Nanashi."

A picture of me and Kei side by side popped on the screen.

Ms. Yamanaka sighed. I had noticed seconds earlier that Kei was very slowly getting ready to make a run for it. I reached out my hand to rest on top of his. He flinched. He looked at me and turned back to Ms. Yamanaka, awaiting her reaction. He was probably expecting some crazy response like her slowly raising her head and screaming. The screaming increasing its volume by the second. 

She picked up the remote and turned the TV off. Silence started to suffocate the air. 

"I don't plan on doing anything rash... I'm sure every being has its own reasons, anyway."

I watched as Kei gasped and had the most sorrowful combination of gratitude and surprise on his face. He left his mouth open for a moment. 

Me, on the other hand, I kind of expected this to happen. This made me feel back at home. The random hospitality from one stranger to the next. Then it's always the elders whose hair color are fading who provide questionless aid. Sure this could be a thing done here in Japan too but right now, I felt back at home. Where embarrassingly we only help people to make ourselves feel better. I know that. 

"So you're called Kei?" she questioned. "I have a grandson just about the same age as you. His name is Ryota. Unfortunately, I haven't seen him in years..."

She got up from the table with her head planted towards the kitchen. She got up and made slow elderly steps to the kitchen to do the same tasks that she had been doing in the kitchen all day: doing the dishes. 

I got up after inhaling the rice and ramen she placed in front of us. I practically ran up to her and pleaded to take her workload. 

"Ms. Yamanaka, I can do that for you," I said trying to ease my way in front of her to take over her dish station. I was trying to add my dishes at the same time but instead of letting me take over, she scolded me. 

"You don't need to work to stay here, girl!" she started. "(Y/n), just live your life, okay? Now go outside."

Before she said my name, she took my dishes and placed them in the sink. She then placed her soapy hands on my waist and began to push me outside where we both noticed Kei had walked off too. 

"Go build a connection with Kei. I think you two would be well for each other. Especially considering that you both have similar experiences." She whispered in my ear all the way to the door. 

She dramatically shut it and Kei turned around from his equally dramatic scowling montage. It's going to be a miracle once this man finally smiles for once. 

"Did you come to bully me more?" he growled. 

I shrugged. "Relax. I want to explore just as much as you want to get to know your surroundings."

Walking faster to get closer to him, I almost tripped. I mumbled a swear under my breath. I recovered quickly and linked my arm with his. He didn't struggle. He just let it happen. We continued into the forested area of the village as the sun began to set slowly.

Started:

March 30, 2023

Finished:

March 30, 2023

Word Count:

1024