26. 𝕀 𝕃𝕠𝕠𝕜 𝕆𝕝𝕕?!

Arriving close to the cliff we came from, technically a lot more like spawned from, Kei snatched his arm away from me. He didn't look back as he kept his eyes focused on whatever he was looking for in front of him.

"Try to be more violent, would ya?" I said as my palm landed on the back of his head. 

He turned around with fury flaring in his irises. "Why don't you stop being an old hag?"

I gasped and put my hand over my chest. He was literally so respectful to anyone but me. It's starting to piss me off a bit.

"Kei, how old are you?" 

"Wha- why do you need to know?-"

"Just answer the damn question!"

He calmed down a bit before answering, "17."

"Okay, Mr. Almost An adult. How old do you think I am?"

Kei's face changed from one of defiance to one of confusion. He was possibly thinking about the way I've been acting up until now and probably comparing me to Sato and Tanaka. His face further turned into a scowl as he was having visible trouble trying to figure out my age. If I were him and a cutie like me was always around, I would be trying to guess my age all of the time. Plus giving my brain lessons to be into older women. 

I took a breath and Kei realized how long his thought process was taking. It forced him to cough up an answer so it would be quicker for him to get the right one. 

"I assumed both you and Mr. Sato were in your mid-thirties," he admitted. 

I very dramatically threw my body into the nearest tree. I look like I'm in my thirties, oh my lord. I look old to this little brat! 

Stopping my dreadful performance, I laughed. He had to be joking. A very funny joke. Yeah, it wasn't funny to me but he must have been having a ball laughing in his head or something. He had to be the only one finding this joke hilarious from some view. Whether it be my reaction or his execution. This is a joke.

That's what I was thinking until I looked back over at him and he was staring at me with a look of pity. A look that expressed Kei knew he guess the wrong age and felt terrible about it. I signed as multiple scenarios ran threw my mind about how I could handle this situation as a good elder would. I'm not even an elder! Just older than him!

I took a deep sigh before running up to Kei and pinching his baby fat chubby cheeks. 

"Argh! Stop... that!" he struggled and grabbed my wrist trying to pry my hand off of his cheeks. 

"Listen here you little brat. I'm 21 years old! That's not even that much older than you! I can't really look like Im in my thirties already, right? It has to be an Ajin thing." I stomped my foot on the ground while cursing immortality. 

My grip on his cheeks was released and he looked even more guilty as I paced around the grass-filled area. 

"Of course, you don't. I only said that because I was thinking mostly of Mr. Sato," he very awkwardly put his hand behind his head. "I'm sorry I offended you."

"And now you suddenly know how to be respectful? You know what Kei, Im going to go train my old hag bones," I scoffed. I walked back to my original tree as if I was fine. I was actually a little messed up over it though. I always took so much pride in looking younger than I actually was. I remember when I was 17. People used to have to ask me my age because, to most people at the time, I looked like a 10-year-old. I remember that was also the year I went to the military and it was when me and Karr first met. He asked me if I was old enough to enlist in the military because I looked so young.

I let out a sigh as I find some of the most basic stretches to loosen up my body. 

Ms. Yamanaka had given me some of her old clothing. Like from when she was a teen old. They were the opposite of modest and honestly leave me believing that she was included in some bad stuff when she was Kei's age. Maybe a gang. All that to say I was wearing a pair of tight army-themed shorts and a loose crop top with garbage and a middle finger on it written in graffiti. 

The outfit made it easy for me to take my right arm and bend it to my chest and put my left arm to support it. Doing the same thing with the opposite arms a few seconds later. I moved to my legs after repeating simple arm stretchers. Taking my right foot behind my back and balancing for a bit. Taking my left foot behind my back and balancing for a bit. Standing straight and bending down for 30 seconds at a time. It was all made easy thanks to the exposing outfit. 

Minute after minute, and stretch after stretch, I soon realized that it was time for me to move on to the actual exercising part. I decided to take a break before throwing some punches at my tree. I looked over at Kei. This time as I looked at him I felt no emotion toward his wrong guesses from earlier. 

He was standing in the clearing further behind the cliff, where we had our argument. His ghost helped to make another clearing after slaughtering trees that were in its way. I frowned as I stared at him, unimpressed to see him standing like a cowboy getting ready to draw his gun looking at his ghost in front of him. I have no idea how long it was actually out but I and Kei both sighed seeing it fade away without a word. Its particles floated up into the air like evaporating water. 

"It's gone already?" Kei quarried, bobbing his body and expressing a mix of disappointment, confusion, and aggravation in his voice. "Why does it disappear on its own like that?"

Another sigh escaped his mouth and he turned around to see his ghost reforming. It formed in a crouching position and copied some of Kei's most recent complaints. 

"Rescuing people... really... isn't worth... all the effort."

I watch as the ghost walked up to me slowly. Kei started to take notes on a small notepad. After that, we head inside for the night where Ms. Yamanaka was waiting to give us options for our arrangements. It ended up with me and Kei staying in the same room on the same bed. How? Well, let's just say Ms. Yamanaka put in a lot of info about survivor skills and soon-to-be couples. We cringed at the rant but agreed to save our ears by agreeing to the women's demands. 

As we lay in bed, side b side, Kei's breathing was hardly noticeable. I hugged his face into my chest as if he were a teddy bear. I fell asleep like this. 

Started:

April 1, 2023

Finished:

April 1, 2023

Word Count:

1223