5

Late Eid update.....

Batoul nervously fiddled with her bracelet as she sat on the carpeted floor in her father's living room. She had a conversation last week with her brother Sadiq regarding Bashir's quest. She had told him about Bashir wanting to send his elders over to ask for her hand in marriage. She figured her brother had spoken with their father so she was summoned. This is the part where her legs were wobbly and wanted to give up on her. She sat on the floor farthest from the couch her Dad was on.

Daddy cleared his throat. "So Fadima, Sadiq has explained to me that you have someone interested in marrying you." He said it in 30 seconds. Or maybe, time just felt longer for her.

She nervously nodded, glancing at Hamma Sadiq seated on the two-seater by the door. She was a mix of nervous and shy. She was nervous because she did not know what her dad's response and reaction would be to this development as he had told her in the past how he would love her until she was done with internship-housemanship before she got married. Shy-obviously. This is the first time her father is talking to her about a man. The man in question is the love of her life. She has never thought about him being the love of her life. But he is. Hence the conflict. She drifted into her thoughts when Daddy's voice brought her back to the reality she was facing.

"What is his name? Which family is he from? Where does he work?" Daddy asked.

The line of questioning from Arewa parents is very humbling. Just then, she lost the ability to talk. Why can she not move her mouth to answer? Instead, Hamma Sadiq came to her aid.

Sadiq cleared his throat. "Daddy, his name is Bashir. He is the son of Gen. Mukhtar Sheriff, the Country's former president."

Sadiq explained to their father. She gave him a weak smile that said "Thank you" in a million forms while he returned it with a smile that said, "I know this feeling, I have been there too". She just felt a pang of great love for her brother. What a kind man. As she inwardly made a Du'a for him "May he always be happy".

Daddy's head instantly went up. "Dan gidan General ne? Mashallah, he's from a good family, that is a very reputable family. The man was a great leader, I hope his son will take after his kind and compassionate character."

Sadiq agreed. In recent times he met Bashir, he has been level-headed and respectful, and smitten over his sister. Regardless, he knows his father will still ask for a proper and in-depth background check on the man, not just his family.

Daddy turned to Batoul. "Do you love him, Fadima?"

At that moment, she longed for the ground to open up and swallow her. How could her father ask such a question?

"Fadima, I am asking you a question, do you love him?" He asked again, this time the question resonating well into her head. She knows she does. It can not be seen but it is deeply felt. In her heart and within her soul. She knows well how he makes her feel. The giddiness, the joy, mix of contentment and exhilaration. She knows that time spent with him always feels special, and precious, and even the mundane moments where they did nothing but listen to each other's breathing rhythm in the car was special.

"Fadima, jam bo," Daddy asked her if all was well.

She felt both their eyes on her, and she slowly nodded, blushing. Hamma Sadiq sneaked in a smile at the way she blushed.

"Mashallah, Mashallah we shall look into it. We will run a background check on him and the family properly even though he's from a very well-known family. Your brother will let you know when we fix the date for them to come, Inshallah."