VEGA JANE SERIES - DAVID BALDACCI

A girl who thinks the city she lives in is all there is in the world finds out her world isn't as perfect as she thought it was and runs away to find there is much more beyond the borders of her Land.

Sound familiar?Yeah that's the plot of the Hunger Games, the Delirium series, the Matched trilogy, the Red Queen series and (drumroll please) the Vega Jane series.It is David Baldacci's first YA novel, and literally every single person who heard of it would have thought that it would be absolutely spectacular.Sorry to disappoint you folks, but it truly isn't.Overrated, if I may say so myself.In this tetralogy, he has attempted to write in a slightly different style, and I really don't find it very appealing. It is a completely different world so there are different names for different objects/ animals (eg : a dog is called a canine) and most of them don't really fit in sentences well enough.Leaving that aside, let's take the protagonist, Vega's brother John into consideration now. He is a good person at the start of the book and becomes super mean and condescending to the poorer segment of society, the same segment he once belonged to.The medical term for this is 'split personality disorder'.The plot - interesting to an extent, yet very abstract. There's magic and spells, there's the evil people who are like super super evil, there's mystery regarding Vega's family and who they were and there is the sci-fi streak of brainwashing.And reading the previous line, you may think, 'Hey, that seems to be the sign of a great book'.Except it's not.I'll give you an example. Let's take a whole bunch of greens and vegetables and salt and place it in a pot to make a broth/soup with no medium for the vegetables to cook in.What will happen next?
The vegetables will burn.That's exactly how the Vega Jane series is. Lots of cliches, and lots of different ideas that should ideally make a book good.The first book is kind of useless - the protagonist finds magical items and leaves the town.That's it.You don't understand much of what's going on.I do understand that the author was trying the concept of foreshadowing, but too much foreshadowing does nothing except make things incomprehensible.There's not much that makes you want to continue reading the series.So listen to me, folks - read any of the series I've listed above, and there's no need for you to read these books ever.

Signing out,The Fidgeting Monk.