Beings & Creatures : Part 1

Dragon (龙 lóng) : A mythical, chimeric creature of utmost importance in Chinese mythology and culture. It represents Yang, the Chinese Emperor, masculinity, imperial power, transformation, good fortune, and much more. Dragons wield tremendous power over the natural world and are particularly adept at controlling water and the weather.

The Chinese dragon, also known as the loong, long or lung is a legendary creature in Chinese mythology, Chinese folklore, and Chinese culture at large. Chinese dragons have many animal-like forms such as turtles and fish, but are most commonly depicted as snake-like with four legs. Academicians have identified four reliable theories on the origin of the Chinese dragon: snakes, Chinese alligators, thunder and nature worship.

They traditionally symbolize potent and auspicious powers, particularly control over water, rainfall, typhoons, and floods. The dragon is also a symbol of power, strength, and good luck for people who are worthy of it in East Asian culture. During the days of Imperial China, the Emperor of China usually used the dragon as a symbol of his imperial strength and power.

In Chinese culture, excellent and outstanding people are compared to a dragon, while incapable people with no achievements are compared to other, dis-esteemed creatures, such as a worm.

• Chinese Dragons are quite different from Western Dragons.

• Chinese Dragons have the physical attributes of many different animals, some of which include a camel's head, a snake's body, a carp's scales, a catfish's whiskers, a stag's antlers, an eagle's talons, etc

• Dragons are sometimes divided into four categories: Jiaolong (蛟龙) which are scaled dragons, Yinglong (应龙) which are winged dragons, Qiulong (虬龙) which are horned dragons, and Chilong (螭龙) which are hornless dragons.

1• Jiaolong (蛟龍; jiāolóng; Wade-Giles: chiao-lung) or jiao is a dragon in Chinese mythology, often defined as a "scaled dragon"; it is hornless according to certain scholars and said to be aquatic or river-dwelling. It may have referred to a species of crocodile.