Chapter 11

One Year Later

The bell rang, signaling the day was over. "Ok class, have a good weekend." Kyojuro boomed with an easy smile. "Remember! Your papers on the Taisho Era are due on Tuesday!" The students waved their goodbyes as they excited the classroom. Kyojuro overhead a few students talking to themselves as they were walking out.

"Mr. Rengoku is my favorite teacher! He really makes history fun."

"Yeah, and he isn't bad on the eyes either."

"Eh? You think so? Even with the eye patch?"

"I think it makes him look distinguished."

"I heard that he lost his eye when that diner exploded downtown last year."

"Really?"

"Yeah. He supposedly saved his girlfriend before the building collapsed."

Kyojuro smiled at the notion. It had been the other way around. Charlotte had saved him. He looked at the clock on the wall. I better hurry, don't want to be late.

—————

A soft bell jingled above as Kyojuro opened the door. The restaurant was packed as usual. Kyojuro smiled. Delicious smells filled the room, country music pumped out of the speakers above. Charlotte's restaurant was a great success. The eatery specialized in American Southern cuisine, and people flocked from all around to try the popular comfort dishes. Charlotte had gotten the idea shortly after Kyojuro had been released from the hospital. His injuries had been serious. He lost his left eye, punctured his lung, and shattered most of his ribs. But he was alive. Kyojuro had stepped down as the current Flame Hashira, no longer able to work in his previous capacity. He still offered counsel to the other Slayers, and was currently training Senjuro to take his place. Senjuro's swordsmanship had improved greatly, wanting to live up to his brother's legacy. The restaurant served delicious food by day, and by night it served as a safehouse for Demon Slayers. A place where Slayers passing through could check their gear, get some sleep in the converted basement, and of course, grab some of Charlotte's famous pie. Kyojuro had become a history teacher at Kimetsu Academy. He absolutely loved his job, filled with a renewed passion that the students and other teachers found infectious.

Kyojuro spotted Charlotte talking to a nearby table. She had an easy smile on her face and laughed at someone's joke. She wore the same cornflower blue dress that she had on from their first date. Kyojuro's heart skipped a beat watching her. Charlotte turned and beamed at him. She excused herself from the group and walked over to him. Kyojuro brushed her cheek with his thumb and gave her a quick peck. "Hi sunflower. You ready?"

—————

Charlotte and Kyojuro walked through Shinjuku with their arms linked. It was the anniversary from their first date. The sun was beginning to set, and they stood on a grassy hill watching boats glide across the water. Kyojuro looked down and plucked a dandelion from the grass. He smiled, and turned to Charlotte. He held it out to her, "Make a wish." Charlotte closed her eyes and thought for a moment, scrunching her nose, then blew. When she opened her eyes she let out a soft gasp. Kyojuro was down on one knee with a ring in his hand. "Charlotte, will you do me the honor of marrying me?" Charlotte's eyes welled with tears and she laughed. "Oh Kyojuro, of course I will!" He stood and slipped the ring on her before enveloping her in a passionate but gentle kiss. Kyojuro hadn't expected his life to turn out this way. He never expected to fall in love, to have a life that wasn't ruled by his duty as a Hashira. Demons were still a threat that lurked in the shadow. But now everything seemed more bearable. He had Charlotte. He had hope for their future. He had love. The neon sign of the diner flashed in his mind and he smiled.