𝐭𝐞𝐧 || 𝐇𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐩𝐬

"𝘐 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘮𝘦 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘐 𝘨𝘰." 

– 𝘏𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘺 𝘚𝘵𝘺𝘭𝘦𝘴

𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 𝐁𝐘 𝐀 𝐁𝐋𝐄𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀𝐋𝐀𝐑𝐌. The void in her home was filled with anxiety and sadness. Cassie was usually motivated and ready to tackle the day ahead of her. However, she could not be more terrified this morning.

She walked down the oak stairs of her childhood home to discover her parents sipping their morning coffees at the table. Cassie was never surprised to see them awake so early. Her father was a military man, and her mother was a military wife.

She quietly smiled at the people who had raised her. Her parents got her here. When her parents noticed their daughter, they offered her a cup of coffee. She sat down with a warm smile. This was just what she needed right now. She needed her family.

━━━━━━━⚜━━━━━━━

Delilah turned her gaze to the enormous carrier balancing on the ocean. Cassie took her daughter's hand in hers as she reached the carrier that would transport her to her possible demise. She observed her fellow pilots preparing for the worst.

The few individuals who had family in San Diego said their tearful goodbyes. Cassie lowered herself to her daughter's level. She forced a smile. Trying not to let her crippling emotion show.

"I love you to bits." Cassie stated before she kissed her daughter on the cheek. Delilah laughed, the same laugh that could wash Cassie's troubles away.

"I love you too Mumma." Delilah reacted kissing her mother's head. Rubbing the back of her head with her tight bun. Dianne and Ron stood by while their granddaughter and daughter said their final farewells.

Jake approached the gathering group of aviators. The majority of them stood by as Cassie said her final goodbyes to her daughter. Jake's attention was drawn to the Kerner family as a result of this. They were worried Cassie would not return home. Jake needed her to come back. They all did.

Ron's gaze was drawn to Jake. Jake nodded to the man, who returned his nod with a warm smile. Delilah spotted the pilot, making a beeline for the man while her mother said goodbye to her own. Delilah ran to Jake's arms, and Jake smiled. As she laughed, he picked her up.

"Jake. "Would you look after my mother?" Delilah asked. A puzzling question for someone her age, but one with an easy response. Jake smiled at this before answering truly.

"I would like to do nothing more." Jake responded. Delilah grabbed the man's face and kissed him on the cheek. Jake smiled before putting his hand on her head and lowering her. As Cassie said her goodbyes to her father, Delilah hurried back towards her grandparents.

"You take care of yourself. You hear me. I can't afford to lose my daughter." Ron tightened his grip on her. Cassie nodded, tears in her eyes. This was difficult. It was more difficult for her than anything else.

She gathered her belongings and proceeded to the group of aviators. She brushed her tears away from her tear-stained cheek. She caressed Jake's arms. He was just what she needed right now. More than anything else. Jake gripped the woman closely and kissed her on the cheek.

He made a promise.

━━━━━━━⚜━━━━━━━

"Its been an honour to fly with you." Maverick remarked looking towards the aviators that lined before him. Their faces stoic, feeling both hopeful and terrified. The stakes were high. Higher than most of them had seen.

"Each of you represents the best of the best. This is an extremely specific mission. My choices are a reflection of that and nothing more." Maverick concludes as the air is sucked from the room. Sweat builds on the faces of the aviators. Everyone was on edge.

"Choose your two foxtrot teams." Admiral Simpson ordered. Maverick nodded. "Payback and Fanboy. Phoenix and Bob." The pairs traded looks with each other. Most of fear and worry.

"And your wingman." Admiral Simpson provoked. Maverick looked towards the stoic faces of those remaining. "Rooster." Hangman's shoulders dropped in disappointment. Cassie was worried.

"Finally, back up." Cyclone requested once more. Cassie's shifted. Maverick looked towards her, both of them understanding what had to be done. "Ace." Cassie's heart pounded. Part of her was proud, the other, terrified.

"The rest of you will stay on standby on the carrier for any reserve roles that are required." Cyclone announced. The aviators were briefed once again of the mission and the things at stake. Once dismissed, they gathered with each other offering congratulations and good luck.

Cassie found Bradley, giving him a hug. Sharing a look that said it all. "Come home Cass, please." Bradley stated. Cassie placed her hand on his shoulder. "You too." She responded.

Once congratulating her fellow pilots, she moved to catch the gaze of her pilot. Jake walked towards her; arms open as she fell into them. He looked towards her with love. "You come home, because I don't know what to do if you don't." Jake stated looking into his lover's eyes.

"I promise I will. I have a lot to come back for." Cassie explained. Jake chuckled lightly. "Once you get back here I'm taking you out for dinner." Cassie smiled looking to the floor before raising her gaze.

"I will be waiting." Cassie responded.

The call rang out as the aviators were called to their jets. Jake looked towards the woman once more. Cassie could read his expression.

"You can kiss me when we all get back alive and well." She elaborated. Jake chuckled again. "You can read me like a book." She smiled at this before making her way towards her jet. She caught the glance of her godfather.

The older man embraced the woman before taking her in arm's length. They shared a smile. They knew what was about to happen. "You come home old man." Maverick laughed at Cassie's hit.

"You too, trooper." Maverick retorted using the old nickname. Cassie beamed before saluting her superior officer. The deafening sound of jet engines could be heard. She walked to her jet, climbing into the cockpit before giving her dog tags a kiss.

The woman inhaled deeply as the voice of her godfather filled the comms.

"Dagger one up and ready at catapult one."

"Dagger spare standing by." Hangman radioed in. "Dagger four up and ready." Payback responded. "Dagger three up and ready." Phoenix confirmed.

"Dagger two up and ready." Rooster piped in. Leaving Ace last.

"Dagger five up and ready." Cassie finalised, letting her sigh escape her lips.

"Support assets airborne. Strike Package ready. Standing by for launch decision." The aide announced in the command room.

"Send them." Cyclone ordered.

With that Maverick signalled to the ground crew who responded instantly. As Mavericks jet powered up his jet was propelled forwards up and off the ship. He was airborne.

"Dagger one away." Cassie took a deep breath in, attempting to calm her nerves. "Dagger two away.

"Dagger three away." Cassie readied herself. "Dagger four away." Finally, it was her turn.

"Dagger five away."  

━━━━━━━⚜━━━━━━━

𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐍𝐨𝐭𝐞

We are getting super close to the end. I am excited to announce we have reached 600+ veiws/reads! I am super excited, and I love each and every one of you. Thank you so much. I thought I would quote some Harry Styles for all of those fans on here. Thought I would get this one out to you guys early.  But I would like to thank you all. It is a joy to write for you all. Hope you guys enjoy, and I will see you next upload :).