𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞 || 𝐇𝐨𝐦𝐞

"𝘔𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘴." 

- 𝘊𝘰𝘭𝘥𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺

𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐃 𝐒𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐓. Just like the others who had landed back aboard the carrier. She'd lost both of them. She approached Mickey as she stepped off of the plane. Sinking into the arms of the man.

"It's fine. You're all right." He attempted to console her. He could see she needed Jake right now.

The admirals were deafeningly quiet in the command room. Hondo was concerned. He couldn't believe Maverick was gone. The command room was bustling with keyboards and radars that were picking up nothing.

Jake sat in his jet, his face sombre. More than anything else, he was pleased Cassie was safe. But he yearned to retrieve Mav and Rooster and bring them home. For her.

The pilots were sitting in the common room. Gear and flight suits were still stuck to their skin. They were waiting for the pinch to snap them out of their trance.

The command room was deafeningly quiet. A light flashed and a radar beeped all at once time.

"Sir, we're receiving a signal from Rooster's ESAT." A command officer made the announcement. Warlock and Cyclone exchanged looks.

"He's airborne." The admirals' expressions became even more astonished as the command officer proceeded.

"In what?" Cyclone inquired, perplexed.

"Sir, Overwatch has reported an F-14, airborne on route or our position." An aide informed them.

"Maverick." Warlock stated, not entirely convinced by his own words. Cyclone turned to face him, a sneer on his face.

"Send Lieutenant Seresin." Cyclone ordered.

Jake was both worried and proud to have been picked to offer air support for Maverick and Rooster. Cassie would murder him if I didn't come home. The woman of his dreams. The woman he planned to marry one day.

Jake took off for their location, dreading the worst. He noticed the dogfight and the fighter plane approaching Maverick and Rooster. Jake took advantage of his opportunity, launching his missile at the remaining plane, destroying it.

Maverick and Rooster couldn't be happier to see Hangman. He literally saved their lives.

"This is your Captain speaking, ladies and gentlemen." Please tighten your seatbelts and tuck your tray tables in as we prepare to land." Hangman laughed.

Maverick and Rooster let out a relieved sigh. "Hangman. You look good." Rooster stated a smile on his face.

"I am good rooster. I'm really good." Hangman answered making their way back to the carrier.

They were alive and well.

━━━━━━━⚜━━━━━━━

Hondo dashed into the common room, notifying all the pilots on the survival of Maverick and Rooster. Cassie could only pray that all three would find their way back to her. They stepped out onto the tarmac, anticipating their return.

Cassie noticed the jets returning to the carrier. They appeared to be in fine condition. She was furious at them for causing her such distress.

Jake was the first to land, his heart racing in anticipation of seeing Cassie. Maverick arrived later and was halted by the barricade. Maverick and Rooster jumped out of the plane as it came to a stop, greeting the crew and pilots assembled on the airstrip.

Jake joined the duo, and the three of them stood together, cheering. They were relieved to be home and alive.

Cassie appeared in Jake's line of sight. His heart swelled as she ran towards him, diving into his arms and kissing him passionately on the lips.

The kiss was passionate and full of affection like they were floating on a cloud, no worries to bother them. They were in love. Jake smiled, knowing how much he loved her. Others would argue that it is excessive. But he was winning as long as he had her. Cassie encircled him with her arms. She'd found her match.

"Hey Cass, "Would you like to be my girlfriend?" Jake was curious. Cassie softly smiled and made eye contact with his sparkling green eyes.

"That's right, Jake Seresin. "I will be your girlfriend." Jake grinned as Cassie responded. He cradled her in his arms before planting a passionate kiss on her lips. The pilots and crew members who around them cheered and whistled.

"I had a feeling they'd end up together." Mickey stated as he nudged Rooster. Bradley gave the couple a friendly smile. He understood what he meant to Cassie. They were madly in love.

Cassie finally approached Maverick and Rooster. The men exchanged smiles and handshakes. As she saw the two men, she laughed.

"Don't do anything like that again, you two." "Do you hear what I'm saying?" Cassie stated solemnly, glancing at the two men.

"We will not. We guarantee it, trooper." Maverick responded by embracing his goddaughter and kissing her on the forehead. Cassie gave the old man a friendly grin. She was content. Life had been very kind her.

Cassie joined Natasha, Bradley, and Jake in their conversation on the other side of the planes.

"You chalked yourself another kill." Rooster got started. Natasha and Cassie had a similar expression the first time they met.

"Mav has five." That makes him an ace." Natasha stated this while the two men exchanged a chuckle and a handshake. Cassie took a short photo with her old camera, which she kept in her pocket. This would go down in history.

The pilots were relieved to be alive and proud to have completed such a difficult mission.

They made the impossible. Possible.

━━━━━━━⚜━━━━━━━

Cassie and Jake stood outside the Kerner's front door. Jake clasped Cassie's hand and opened the door. Ron and Dianne greeted the couple with warm smiles.

"Mummy! Jake!" Delilah yelled as she dashed up to the couple. Jake grabbed her up and slung her over his shoulder. Cassie kissed her daughter on the forehead. Jake kissed the small girl on the cheek.

Cassie gently snatched her daughter from Jake as Ron made a move to handshake Jake and properly meet him. Delilah giggled as Cassie beamed. Her worries vanished with a magical giggle.

Dianne turned her gaze to the two men and Cassie. She could see it in their eyes. They loved  one another. They were meant to be together.

They were home.

━━━━━━━⚜━━━━━━━

𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐍𝐨𝐭𝐞:

This is one of the last Chapters I will write for these two. The kiss has finally happened. I wanted to make you all wait until it got to the end. I hope it was worth the wait. I have enjoyed writing this fic so much.  I will have the exposition posted ASAP. I will see you all next upload. 😊