8. Payback

Over the next week, Adam and I had been hanging out more. I considered him a good friend. He and I had played hockey more, with me beating him every time.

I learned from Julie that Varsity had thrown their clothes in the shower, causing them to retaliate and freeze theirs. I laughed and high-fived Julie. Varsity was acting like jerks.

The week was filled with various small pranks from both sides. Julie had told me what had happened with each one, and I couldn't help but laugh. Seniors vs. Freshman was not a year I expected.

Towards the end of the week, Julie told me that Varsity had invited them to a Friday night dinner at one of the fanciest restaurants I had ever seen, The Minnesota Club.

Scooter invited me to come with them, saying I could try to mediate.

Julie rode with me and Scooter. She helped me get dressed and when we got there, everyone seemed to be getting along, except Adam. No one was speaking to him, and he was shifting in his seat uncomfortably.

I took the empty seat next to him. "Hey," I placed a hand on his knee, "Everything okay?"

He looked at me before looking around. "Come with me." He abruptly stood up, dragging me with him.

We were in front of the bathrooms when Adam stopped. "They're planning on sticking the ducks with the bill."

My eyebrows crossed. "What? Why?"

"It's another prank! I'm so sick of this." He groaned, running his hands through his hair.

I grabbed his hands. "Sick of what? What's wrong Adam?"

"This stupid rivalry. My friends won't talk to me, the Varsity jerk treat me like shit, and right now, I feel like you're the only person who gives a shit." He sighed, sinking down the wall.

"Oh, Adam." I mumbled, holding the side of my dress and sitting down next to him.

I held my arms open and he hugged me.

"I'm sorry, but you're the only person I can trust right now." He pulled away.

"It's okay." I patted his shoulder.

"We'll, considering how expensive this place is, I've got $100. What've you got?" Adam pulled out his wallet.

"Oh no, check this out." I pushed his wallet away, revealing Scooter's wallet from my purse.

"Holy-" Adam's eyes widened.

"They think they can stick some 14 year olds with a hefty bill? Nice try." I smirked, standing up and holding a hand out to him.

"Thank you, Ella, for helping me." He grabbed my hand and smiled.

"Of course! What else are friends for?" I nodded, pulling him back to the table.

"You two get cozy?" Julie nudged my elbow.

"Shh no." I shushed her, leanings into her as we giggled.

"What did you two talk about?" She whispered in my ear.

"They wanna stick you guys with the bill, but here." I secretly handed her a wad of some 100 dollar bills.