Chapter 3

Charlotte

*The next morning, my new guard follows me everywhere. "If you're going to walk so close to me, you can at least try and hold a conversation. Otherwise, you'll look like a stalker following me."

"Yes, ma'am."

How can someone be so quiet? Doesn't he ever get bored? I've tried all morning to strike up a conversation but the only thing I get back are short sentences or one worded answers. "Are you always this quiet? Or is it just me who brings out this exciting side of you?"

He almost smiled before he composed himself again. "Just doing what I'm told, ma'am."

I see my favorite cafe across the street, and I head toward it. Maybe some food will loosen you up a little. 10 minutes later, he sits down at an empty table with our orders. "Not much of a breakfast person, I take it?"

"Coffee is fine."

"And you only drink it black? How predictable."

He raises an eyebrow at me. "What do you mean?"

"Nothing."

"Is there something wrong with being predictable?"

I pause for a moment. Holy shit, I can't believe it. That's the longest sentences he's said to me all morning. "I suppose not. Predictable at least means you're reliable, which are great qualities to have. It's fine as long as you'll still have some fun sometimes, right?"

He simply sips his coffee and says, "Sometimes I add some cream just to help the taste a bit."

I laugh. "How very daring of you." I guess he does have a somewhat humorous side. I hope he shows it more often.

He stops for a second, appearing like he didn't want to come across rude but remains quiet. "You only ordered a latte, is this your daily routine?"

"You notice things, don't you? But you are right. I do usually order something to eat as well. It's just this whole anonymous shit has startled me a little. It's shocking to believe someone would threaten Adam with my life... However, if they were someone close to him, they would know it's stupid including the fact that he doesn't care what happens to me." I force myself to form a small smile.

"Sorry, I hope I didn't make you uncomfortable. He shook his head.

"Not at all. Relationships certainly do have their challenges."

"You sound like you've experienced some. Is your girlfriend upset that your gone for a long..." Shut up, Charlotte. "Sorry. I don't want to be nosy."

"I don't have time for a relationship right now. My responsibilities are elsewhere."

"That's smart." I fiddle with the coffee cup in my hand. "Can we take this to go? I'd like to go home."

"Yes, of course." His smile was simply intoxicating.

*It isn't long before we're back in the house. He finished his coffee before we left the cafe, so I put mine on the kitchen table. I try to think of something to ask him. "Have you ever tried..."

"Wait. Something's wrong." Suddenly, a gunshot flies through the air, breaking the vase on the counter. Terrified, I covered my head with my hands as the bullets continued to fly. He tackles me to the ground, as I feel the whoosh of air as one nearly hits my arm. I look at him with my eyes wide open and I then realize that he just saved me from getting shot.