Chapter 8

An hour later, we're deep into conversations and food.

"I think you're using your job as an excuse."

"I'm not." "Oh, please. When was the last time you went on a vacation?"

"I don't take time for that. I'm head of security for a reason Charlotte."

He said my name again! I love the way it sounds when it comes out of his mouth. "Besides being in love with your job, what else do you like?"

"Reading."

"Reading what?"

"Books."

"Come on now, you've interested me. What sort do you like?" I asked as I took a sip of water.

"Don't judge me, but romance novels." I nearly choked on my water.

"See? That's why I was embarrassed."

"You're always so serious, I don't see you reading those."

He shrugged. "Just because I'm single now doesn't mean I've never been in love."

"So, you used to or are still in love?" 

"Used to. It was so long ago. We were almost together for four years though."

"That's a long time."

"It was. Now the only romance I see is novels. I haven't experienced any of that."

"Oh, come on now."

"Charlotte, I'm nothing like your husband. When I commit to someone, that's it. There's no one else."

"God, I wish I could have that." Shit, did I just say that out loud?

"You may have not found the right one yet."

"He makes me feel so unappreciative and never cares, no matter how hard I've tried to make him happy."

"Is that really how you feel?"

"I..."

"Is it really that bad?" The look on his face was pure concern, making my heart melt.

I shrug. "I'm used to it."

"You shouldn't."

"I thought it was love then things changed."

"Such as?"

"I went to Princeton to be a lawyer. I did great until Hunter told me it wasn't the job for me, and I chose him over my parents and best friend."

He shook his head. "Why haven't you left him? You deserve better? I..." Then he tried to change the subject. "You done eating?"

"I..."

"I'll pay then we can leave."