Chapter 24

*The next day: While Jamie is washing the dishes and I'm drying them, I break the silence by asking him a question. "So, what time are we leaving?"

"Leaving?"

"The speed dating thing at your friend's bar?"

"Right...I forgot. You sure you want to go?"

"Sure! It beats doing nothing. And hey, who knows? I might meet someone fun and go home with him."

Jamie's body tenses up and almost drops the plate he's been holding. "What?"

"You know, if I hit it off with someone, and he invites me back to his place..."

"You are NOT going anywhere with anyone without me. Have you forgotten why we're here?" Jamie doesn't want me to go home with another man?

"Fine. If I can't go home with him, we'll hook up at the bar."

"In front of everyone else?"

"Why not? I don't have issues with it."

Jamie stares at me stone-faced. "If that's what you want..."

"It is. I'm going to go take a shower and get ready. Just let me know what time we're leaving."

He gives me a simple nod, so I turn and sashay into the bathroom. He keeps giving me mixed signals. He tried to sound calm, but his knuckles turned while gripping that counter-top. Maybe a sexy, tight dress will remind him what he's missing out on. After going through dresses, I chose a tight-fitting red dress. Perfect. Nobody could resist me in this. And now, action.

I wait for Jamie in the living room, and it isn't long before he appears. "Are you ready?"

"Yep!" I face him. He's dressed casually yet seems put together at the same time. I bite my lip as I take him in and realize he's doing the same to me.

"You look nice."

"And you look...um..." He clears his throat. "Well, I think you know how amazing you look in that dress, Charlotte."

Yes! "I hope you won't be the only one thinking that tonight.

Jamie rolls his eyes. "Those guys would be idiots not to find you attractive. In fact, I'm betting you'll have trouble shooing them away. Which reminds me... if any point you feel uncomfortable or want to leave, let me know."

"What if you're really enjoying the person you're talking to? I wouldn't want to interrupt."

"The only reason we're going tonight is because it's something you want to do. Obviously, you're my main priority."

"So, you'd walk away from your hot date just to make sure I'm okay? How sweet of you."

"Just doing my job, Charlotte."

"Well, your job suits you." I notice a hint of a smile on his face, and his posture relaxes.

"We'd better get going if we want to make it on time."

"Okay."

"Are we taking your motorcycle again?"

"We can if you want."

"Yes, definitely! I had so much fun yesterday. I really didn't expect to like it as much as I did."

Jamie grins like a teenage boy and the sight gives me butterflies. "It's a great bike, isn't it?"

"It really is."

"Well then...let's introduce you to the finest bachelors around, shall we?"