Chapter 5

The day after I was feeling horrible. I didn't sleep at all because of that stupid scenario I made up last night.

I got out my warm bed and went to the kicthen to make me a very big cup of coffee, hoping that it would have been enough to make me get through the entire day.

After, I noticed Sumo getting closer to me and snuzzled in between my legs. I knelt and gently passed a hand through her fur.

"You wouldn't believe what I dreamed about last night... I mean, I just made a scenario in my head without even knowing why. What do you think it is?" I explained quietly to my cat.

She meowed in response to what I said. I smiled and pinched her tiny nose.

"Yeah... I guess you're right. I'm in love with a stupid android..." I murmured as I gently scatched her head.

I fed her and watched her eat as I drank my coffee. I prepared to get to work and kissed her head before leaving my house.

I felt more and more anxious at every step I made as I walked towards Hank. I could literally feel my heartbeat ring in my ears and I just had to ignore it all day.

"Good morning, Connor" he greeted me.

"Hi..." I simply replied with a quick smile, while sitting down at my desk without making any eye contact.

"Is everything alright? You seem tense..." he asked concerned.

I blinked and looked at him for a moment, trying to focus on what I could have answered.

"W-What? Me? N-No, it's nothing. Don't worry..." I replied while chuckling nervously, trying to act normal.

He remained quiet and nodded slowly, but not seeming entirely sure about my reply.

I had to admit I was pretty distracted all day but I couldn't blame him for it, it was just my stupid mind's fault.

Fortunately, a new case came in and we left the DPD to go investigate it.

On the way to the crime scene he told me that apparently a bunch of androids set up a fire at a building in the middle of Detroit.

I parked my car a few streets away from the scene since I noticed a great amount of people and when I got out the car I was met by a huge building half on fire about to collapse on itself.

My eyes widened as I admired it and took a few steps back without realizing.

"Holy shit...!" I said surprised.

It was such a dramatic and yet beautiful scene, I couldn't stop staring at it, but I quickly brought myself back to reality.

We passed through the police tape that was blocking all the people to get any closer and rushed to the police cars to meet our other colleagues.

We were almost standing right under it and I could clearly see the red hot flames coming out the windows, not surrending to the intervention of the firemen, and the dark smoke slowly vanishing in the night sky.

"I have a bad feeling, Connor... We should be careful" Hank said near my ear.

"Bad feeling, huh? Have you checked your program? Might be a glitch..." I replied sarcastically while raising an eyebrow.

I started talking with them and we decided to quickly make up a plan. After a couple of minutes, we finally got to a conclusion and we were ready to take these assholes down.

Hank was standing like a meter away beside me, looking up at the building. He looked... blank, and that was when I had wondered why he didn't look at me like that anymore, he always had a smile around me.