Charter 9

“We’re short on blue blood and biocomponents. Our wounded are shutting down, we have to do something!” Josh started.

We were all in the ship's cabin, discussing on what we could do to obtain androids freedom.

“Humans are conducting raids in all the big cities and they’re taking androids to camps to destroy them! There’s nothing we can do!” North replied.

“It’s all our fault... None of this would have happened if we’d just stayed quiet!” Josh said, catching Markus’ attention.

He slowly turned around to look at him.

“All we did was show them who we really are… I don’t want war, but I’d rather die free than live as a slave” he replied coldly.

“What’s the point of being free if no one’s left alive?” Josh asked.

“Humans enslaved us! I’ll never regret standing up to that!” he replied defensively.

“We shouldn't forget who our enemies are. We can't fight amonst ourselves” Simon said.

“He’s right. All that matters now is what we do next” North said.

“Markus?” she asked for his opinion, returning his glance at him.

He thought for a moment.

“Dialogue… It’s the only way. I will go alone and try to talk to them one last time. If I don’t come back, lay low as long as you can” he replied.

North shook her head while the rest of us agreed.

“Just come back...” Simon said right before leaving while placing a hand on his shoulder.

“They need to realize how much they’re hurting us… Find the right words and they’ll listen” Josh said and left the cabin.

“I’ll go join the others…” North said quietly before leaving.

Markus returned to his previous position and sighed.

“They’ve been butchering each other for centuries over the color of their skin or whatever god they wanted to worship. They're not gonna change... Violence is just in their genes” Markus said frustrated.

“I know... But they can't stop what you started” I replied as I shook my head, trying to comfort him.

“He’s right. You gave hope to all those people and they trust you. You're a good leader, Markus” Hank added.

He turned around.

“You two are the proof that humans can live together. I'm very glad to have you” he said with a small smile while nodding.

Me and Hank looked at each other smiling for a moment, being glad to hear that.

Then, we suddey heard a loud noise. It seemed to be an helicopter right on top of us and that's when I realized.

“They're going to attack Jericho!” I exclaimed.

“Shit...” Markus cursed.

“Quick! We have to find the others!” he shouted as he ran out the cabin.

I felt Hank’s hand grab mine as we followed him down the ship. We started hearing a lot of gunshots from both sides and we ran until we met North.

“They’re coming from all sides! Our people are trapped in the hold, they’re gonna be slaughtered!” she shouted.

“We have to blow up Jericho. If the ship goes down, they’ll evacuate and our people can escape!” Markus replied.

“You’ll never make it! The explosives are all the way down in the hold and there are soldiers everywhere!” she shouted.