Year One: Figure Skating

"Morning!" Daisy chirped planting herself down on the Gryffindor's bench and taking a piece of toast for herself.

"Morning little Evans." James hummed.

"Yeah." Sirius mumbled from staring at his toast and jam.

Beside him, James' hand had glued itself to Sirius' shoulder while he watched him eat, most likely making sure that he was.

"Something the matter?" Daisy asked unable to see Sirius' face. None of them answered.

Seeing that none of the boys were willing to speak, Daisy went back to her breakfast, regretting ever asking.

"Just tired!" Peter abruptly jumped, cutting the awkward tension that was thickening. "We all stayed up pretty late last night didn't we." He chuckled looking back and forth between James and Remus for help. The two boys followed suit and nodded. Sirius stayed still.

"Yeah, it's an exhausting morning." Mumbled Remus who then averted his eyes from Daisy.

In contrast to the boys, Mary MacDonald skipped down the isle and planted herself down at the Gryffindor table. "Morning everyone!" She sang. "Damn, who put salt in your cereal?" She asked looking around at all the the second years glum faces.

Sirius softly arose from the table without a word, taking a letter from the table and walked away from the Gryffindors, followed by James who ran to his side immediately, while Remus and Peter sighed looking down at their plates.

    Alice was now over the stage of crying and was now onto being angry at the entire world, she hadn't said a word at breakfast either, she only sat picking at her eggs and bacon with a sour face. Breaking the yolk and stabbing it over and over again.

    Then there was Lily, who actually was the only one looking decent for a change, normally James had found a way to irritate her by now.

    It was a very strange and unfamiliar atmosphere to be felt at the Gryffindor table. especially seeing as it was the holiday. Daisy would have expected everyone to be off their rockers.

    "Alright then, have it your way. Marlene!" Mary stood up shouting towards the entrance. Remus, who was sitting next to her, winced at the volume. Marlene McKinnon who had been chatting to Emmeline Vance looked Mary's way and stood still rather than coming forward.

    "What?!" She yelled back to Mary who had attracted the attention of the whole school now. "Why's everyone so down?!" Lifting her hands over her shoulders with a shrug. Daisy giggled at her.

    "Beats me!" Marlene yelled back with the same shrug, and Mary let out a loud sigh as she threw her head back.

    "Girls sit down please!" Professor McGonagall scolded from her seat at the teacher's table, and Marlene and Mary both looked at each other while hiding their giggles.

    "Well if Marlene doesn't know then no one does." Mary flopped herself back onto her seat and began spreading Nutella on her toast. Turning her attention to Remus who was resting his head tiredly against the palm of his hand. "Aren't you eating Remus? A big boy like you needs food." She said eyeing the plate of barely touched toast that sat in front of Remus.

    "Thank you mum but I know how to take care of myself." He offhandedly commented back pushing his plate away, then with a painful groan he stood up to leave.