Chapter 69: Mercy

Arceus: "What were you thinking?"

You look around and see you weren't in Hisui but in the familiar grey void from after the USJ. Arceus' voice was heard but you couldn't see him.

Y/n: "Yeah, yeah, I get it, I was stupid. Thanks anyway."

Arceus: "Don't say that to me. You would be deaf for the rest of your life if I hadn't stepped in. I'm not going to pretend to not know why you were training that hard, but you couldn't possibly have thought it would come without consequences."

Y/n: "I could've learned sign language..."

Arceus: "I can stop helping and you can become deaf and learn sign language while having to drop out of UA if that's what you want, but I'm trying to help. I get it, you're young, but can you give me some answers."

You sigh-

Y/n: "There wasn't a reason, I was being stupid, trying to distract myself from everything going on in my mind. I've never really had self-destructive tendencies, but for some reason, it just felt like the only way to deal with everything."

Arceus: "So you don't know why?"

You shrug and lean back only to be met with nothing, getting slightly startled as you begin to do a backflip, forgetting you're suspended in midair.

Arceus: "Looks like our time is up, sadly. However, I have one request. Find out how you've dealt with similar events recently and that should lead you to a way to heal from this. Once you recognize this then it should be able to help you prevent this from happening again."

Y/n: "Seems like you already know, can I get a hint?"

Arceus: "For someone who can pass as an individual with an IQ-boosting quirk, you're surprisingly dense."

With that said, you started plummeting, screaming all the way down. You wake up in the hospital your surroundings dark indicating it's probably early Monday or late Sunday.

'I hate it when he does that. Why can't I just go straight into my body? More importantly...'

You move a hand up to your ear and start snapping, it was faint but you could hear it. Focusing more you could also hear the beeps of your vitals being monitored. You sigh in relief and stare at the ceiling.

'So the solution is obvious. How did I deal with previous trauma? That's a good question. I never really dealt with it, I just kind of ignored Takaoka and didn't seek help, then that resolved itself randomly after I joined the math club. Then what else is there?'

Out of the peripherals you see two figures enter the room bathing the room in light from the hallway. You couldn't make out what they were saying, but they looked at you and saw your eyes were open and stopped talking anyway. You turned your head and saw it was Momo and Mr. Aizawa. They both came over and pull up chairs, you sat up in your bed to "talk" with them. You see and faintly hear sounds from Momo but nothing is discernible. 

Y/n: "I can hear you making some noise but I can't understand what you're saying."

They both flinch when you spoke, telling you that you were yelling. You overcorrect and try to whisper an apology, probably still a little loud. Momo smiles and shook her head producing paper and a writing utensil and begins to scribble down some words.

"The surgery was successful, they said you shouldn't have any lasting hearing problems after adequate rest. Your hearing and balance should return to a normal enough level in a week with the help of Recovery Girl's quirk. However,  your hearing will be more sensitive causing you to be prone to overstimulation, especially in these next few weeks."