Alternate Ending(kinda) to blushing scene(page 511 and 512) in Book 4

'Lucy', Lockwood said. 'You deserve a special toast. First, for coming back to us. Lockwood and Co was incomplete without you. And second, for intervening when Rotwell had me beaten.
You saved my life that night. Thank you.'

His gaze fixed mine. I did my best to look super casual but I could feel a bit of blushing going on. Then I realized that everyone was watching us.

'Ooh. Awkward' George said. Lockwood grinned and then threw a crust of bread at him.

'Luce, I have to talk to you.' Lockwood told me. 'Okay...?' I reluctantly followed him to the basement.

'So...uhm Lucy, I mean uh we were never together but we have to keep our relationship strictly professional. I mean, we are an agency together and if something happens, I don't want you to leave again. I can't lose you.' Wow. Not what I expected.

'Oh. Okay. Yeah. I totally understand.' Wow. Two kisses and we're breaking up already. But I mean, he was right... we were never together. But still..did he not realize how much this might hurt me?

'What. The. Hell?'

Me and Lockwood run around to see George.

'Okay, sorry. I can't keep it anymore. Stop pretending that you aren't completely in love with each other. 'Lucy' He turned to me. 'You literally blush whenever he walks in the room. I'm no expert in talking to ghosts, but even the skull knows about you two. And don't pretend like you don't think about him 24/7.'

'Lockwood.' He turned to him. 'You have been in love with Lucy ever since she entered that door for the interview. And don't pretend like you won't die for her, because you will. And you almost have
many times. So don't give me that shit and go back to normal to just fall in love all over again.'

Me and Lockwood were shocked.

Lockwood said, 'George, I don't know what you're talking about.'

The fact that he denied everything just hurt me even more. I scoffed and walked back to my room. That night, I thought a lot about what Lockwood had said and I could only come to one conclusion.