Anniversary Part 1

I woke up. There were just 2 days left till our anniversary and I still hadn't gotten Lockwood a gift. He had probably gotten some fantastic gift, and, I had gotten him nothing.

I went downstairs to the kitchen. George was eating toast, Holly some eggs. A pile of books was on the table. 'Morning. Any toast left?' George motioned his head towards the counter. I took it. 

'So..where's Lockwood?' I asked.

'Oh, he's just out somewhere. He said he had to pick up something,' George said. I nodded. I really had to get him something.

'Alright, I'm going out. I'll be back by lunchtime.' I wore my coat, and walked out the door.

I roamed the lonely streets of London, viewing shops as I went by. Nothing seemed right for Lockwood. A suit and tie? A stack of magazines? I had no idea.

I sighed in frustration. I went to the phone booth and called Holly to tell her I'll be having lunch out. I headed to the nearest cafe and saw someone who I would have never-in a million years expected to see.

'ROBIN!' I exclaimed in surprise. It was my old best friend from when I worked at Jacobs, but I had to leave him when I ran away. He looked up at me and his face broke out into a grin. 'Lucy?'

He beckoned me over to his booth. He hadn't changed one bit. Light brown hair, brown eyes, and slight freckles you only noticed if you went up close.

'How have you been? It's so good to see you, Lucy! I've heard all about you in the news. You work for...Lockwood & Co. now is it?'

'Yeah. What about you?'

'Oh I left 2 months after you and became a freelance agent.' We talked a bit more, then I turned to leave. 'Robin, do you want to come for dinner tomorrow night?'

'Of course! I'd love to.'

'It's 35 Portland Row by the way.' I remarked while leaving. I walked home, disappointed I didn't get Lockwood a gift, but happy I met Robin.

I walked to the door where Lockwood was already standing. He had a small bag in his hands.

'Lockwood! Hi! Have you just come back from uh...where you..went?'

'Yeah.'

'Whats that in your bag?'

'OH! That's uh...that's nothing. Just uhm...some tools for uh...George's new experiment.' I nodded. I knew it was a gift for me, seeing his behavior over the so-called "tools". 

'Also...I met a friend of mine, Robin, who used to work at Jacobs with me. I met him today and invited him for dinner tomorrow night. Is that ok?'

He looked disappointed, for some reason. 'Oh..uh...yeah...of course.' We walked through the hallway and put our coats and shoes aside. 'Should I give the tools to George?' I asked, teasingly. 'NO!...Uh...I mean no..it's fine...I'll do it.' He walked to his room.

I saw Holly in the corridor. 'Oh Holly, by the way, my friend Robin is coming for dinner tomorrow.' She looked surprised. 'Really!? That's sad.' She remarked.

'That's....sad? Why?'

'Oh not your friend coming over, that's great! But Lockwood was planning a really romantic dinner for you two, rambling on and on about it when you weren't there.'

At that moment, I felt like crawling in a hole and dying. Of course, Lockwood being Lockwood, he would have planned some amazing thing for me. 

I walked in his room. He was in pajamas and unbuttoning his shirt to wear his hoodie.

'Lockwood?' He spun around. I blushed. He was....shirtless. I tried not to focus on his.....I wasn't quite used to seeing him shirtless. 'Lockwood...I know about....the....uhm...dinner.' I was so flustered, he was stuggling to hold back his laughter. But at my comment, he just said 'Oh.' 

'Lockwood, I'll just tell Robin not to come. It's fine. We can do it some other day.'

'No...Luce...it's fine. You haven't met him in ages. We'll just do the dinner some other day,'

'Are you sure?' I took a step forward. He tensed and said 'Yeah.' Then he turned away and wore his hoodie.

I walked out the door, hurt, and went to bed.

A/N

Just one more part!