Lucy's Birthday Part 3

Lucy's POV

Wait. WHAT!? I couldn't process the news I just heard. I obviously had to ask this to Lockwood because there was a 0% chance I would believe this stranger over him. I turned to him. His cheeks were red and he looked flustered.

'Lockwood?'

'I...it's not...she kis-'

'I....it's.....just...you could've not done it on my birthday. That just makes it hurt even more.' I walked away before he could see the tears running down my face.

'Luce?' I quickened my pace. 'Lucy just let me explain. Please.' I didn't want to show how much he hurt me, so I gave in to my anger.

'WHAT is there to explain Lockwood? You kissed some girl and we're over. Just-' My voice broke. I couldn't stop sobbing.

'Lucy, please. I-...Wait. We're over..? Lucy. Please. No. I'm begging you don't do this. Let me explain.' Tears ran down his face and he didn't bother to brush them away. I nodded slowly. I couldn't speak, my voice was breaking too much.

'Hazel was my childhood friend. Years after Jessica died, I started Lockwood & Co. Hazel and I were the first members. Then George joined. One day, she almost got ghost-touched so I jumped to save her and injured my leg. She-'

I couldn't believe my ears. 'Oh, there goes Lockwood, playing the brave knight in shining armor yet again.'

'I...what do you mean?'

'Lockwood, the same thing happened with us. You jumped to save me from the flare and got injured. Let me guess, she took that as a sign and made a move. But you fired her because 'it had to be strictly professional'. He nodded slowly. 'Lockwood, what if I hadn't said "I love you" at that moment? Do you think we would be here right now?'

'No. I haven't. Because you said it and that will never happen. Lucy, you can't....don't leave me. I love you.'

Tears ran down my face. Lockwood moved forward to brush them away. I flinched and took a step back. He looked hurt. 'That still doesn't explain why you kissed her.'

'I....yesterday I had gone to pick your cake. I saw Hazel and you know, small talk. She invited me to her "end-of-the-problem-party". Then I walked out and she kissed me and ran off!'