3) Blood Red

Sometime through the night I must have dozed off because I woke up to Sonya shaking me. I yawned and rubbed my eyes. "What time is it?"I grumbled.

"You have to see this. Follow me,"She said frantically. For once I wanted to pull the covers over my head and sleep but nevertheless followed her.

She dragged me near the Box where everyone else was standing. That's when yesterday's events ran through my head again. That's all it took for me to be wide awake. If everyone was around the Box does that mean the note meant what we thought it did?

"This is all his fault! He needs to be banished!"I heard someone say. They were a good distance, but I knew it was Beth. She has been practically begging to kill him since he showed up.

"Move,"Harriet demanded. Everyone stood to the side and made a path for her. She looked at the box, and I could see her start to shake. It was hardly noticeable unless you were focusing all your attention on her.

"It's still here,"Sonya told me. I didn't respond. There was nothing to say. Any words of comfort would be a lie, and any truth would be no comfort. It's very clear that we're all going to die if we don't get out, and we can't get out.

"Harriet,"Rachel started only for Beth to interrupt with an angry "Can't you see she's busy?!"

"Shut it Beth,"She snapped, before turning to Rachel.

"It's the boy. He's awake."

Harriet looked at all of us before pointing at me. "Get your blade, and go with us. Everyone else stay calm. We'll figure out what to do later,"She deadpanned.

Sonya gave me a questioning look, and I knew she was wondering why it was only me going. I mouthed that I would explain later. She gave a skeptical look but still nodded.

As we walked there I felt my scar itch. Of course not actually, but it happened when I was nervous. You know when you're getting a really bad bruise, and that one spot feels uncomfortable even though it shouldn't. That's the best way to describe it.

When we stepped into the room you could cut the tension with a knife. The Nurses were whispering to each other in the corner, and the girl next to him was on the edge of her bed as far away from him as possible.

Finally, I looked at the boy. He was staring at the floor like it was the most interesting thing in the world. His hands were on his knees as he bounced his legs up and down.

There was that sense of loneliness around him again that compelled me to take a step towards him. He seemed to be lost in thought as he stared at that same spot on the floor.

"Hi,"I said. He looked up, and I was able to see his eyes. They were light blue and seemed to bring out the dark circles under his eyes. They had clear fear in them.
He wasn't a threat. He was just like the rest of us.

"Why-why am I here?"He stuttered out.

"I don't know. We all just showed up one day,"I explained.

"Do you remember anything?"Harriet spoke up. He shook his head. "Not even your name?"She asked. He shook his head no again.

"What do we do now?"I asked her.

"What's there to do? We're all sitting ducks,"She responded.

"Wait, we're gonna die?"The Blondie asked, looking ready to pass out any second.

Before I could answer a group of girls came storming in with Beth as their leader. "Dammit Beth! What do you need?"I snapped. At this point the Blondie's just going to never speak again. She looked at me before stomping over to me.

"Listen here scarface. Just because you-"
before she could say another word I punched her as hard as I could. The room was dead silent. Not even Beth had anything to say as she clutched her cheek. Then I saw she had blood on her lip. I wanted to feel sympathy, but none came. It was no secret how I felt about that subject.
"I hope it scars,"I hissed, before walking out.

I saw there was still a good chunk of people outside, but I didn't stop to see who. Despite the crystal snow all I could see was red. Red like the blood dripping down her lip. Hopefully, her face will be at least half as messed up as mine.

Nobody said anything as I slipped into my tent. I knew I'd end up in the jail later, but I didn't care. Beth wasn't going to get away with everything just because she's a jerk with anger issues.

She wasn't there when I got it so she has no right to say anything about it or about what happened. There are a few good places she can shove it.

"Y/N. Are you alright?"Sonya asked from outside the tent.

"I'm good. You coming in?"

"I came to let you know that the boy is in the jail, and Beth's making Harriet hold a meeting about whether you should be. Come by the meeting place in about ten minutes,"She instructed.

I heard her let out a frustrated sigh before walking away. She's definitely going to vote for no punishment.

I waited a moment to be certain she was gone. Then, I tucked my journal and pen into my jacket pocket. May as well keep one thing the same.