Chapter 3: Cornered Animals

At the Formal Family Mansion, Pina brings the JSDF team to meet with the current head of the Formal clan, which to their surprise, was a still a child, after agreeing to help with the situation in Italica, the Princess assigns them to the south gate of the city, much to the disapproval of their commanding officer, but after the yelling, Itami requested backup for the following attack.

After a while, they noticed some enemy scouts in the distance, despite the enemy seeing their numbers, they were able to figure out that the next attack is in the East Gate, however, knowing the Princess would use them as a decoy to get sacrificed in the battle, they decide not to tell her about it.

Rory however, was wondering why Itami was choosing to defend an enemy city.

Rory: Itami, Dear?

Itami: Huh?

Rory: Why are you helping the princess of an empire that attacked your homeland?

Itami: To protect the people of this town, Rory.

Rory: You really meant that, wow.

Itami: Course I did!

He struggling to put his NVGs on

Itami: Why wouldn't I?

She decides to help out with the helmet, allowing him to attach the goggles on

Itami: You care about what's going on?

Rory: Emeroy is the god of battle, you know, where death and destruction come with the territory, but there is motive, it's the most important thing, if your purpose isn't rightous, then deception your soul.

Itami: Well, since I wasn't lying when I said I want to help, I guess there's no problem, but I do have another reason...

Rory: hmm.

Itami: I wanna show them a different way, that we're not this big enemy of theirs, I want the princess to understand she can talk with us.

Rory smirked a bit at that

Rory: I like it. I really, really like it! Your fear, I can feel it coming off of you.

Itami: Fear?

Rory: You'll burn into her soul, I just know it!

She hopped over to the edge of the wall, and started twirling with joy.

Rory: I am wholly looking forward to helping you in the upcoming battle, sweety. It's been so long since I get to let loose, this should be superb.

Itami: Uhh... that's not exactly what I meant...

A few hours later.

The night finally falls over the city, and as the two groups wait for the next wave of bandits to attack, ready for their arrival at any minute now.

Meanwhile with the team led by Null and Ocelot, the group had spent hours exploring the city, taking notes, and carefully taking photos of the place, they knew they needed a place to stay for the night, and the got to the nearest and cheapest inn they could find.

The owner only asked for 6 gold and 3 silver coins, and gave them a room with two beds, turns out the business here's dying, but the owner was happy to have some customers for the last time before closing down the place.

To their surprise, they were instead given one of the most expensive rooms, having two beds, a table, and a balcony to stare at the night sky.

The two soldiers decide to sleep on the same bed, Ocelot and Null agreeing to do the same on the other bed.