CHAPTER TWO: Man In Dark

═════════•°• ⚠️ •°•═════════

When I woke up on the fateful day of my departure, I wasn't in the best mood. John warned me about other people coming with us, as he needed some public opinion for his investors about his stupid zoo, and apparently, since my name has been a bit trendy nowadays, I was suddenly another expert who could leave a five-star review. Poor thing didn't realize my distaste, and how that could affect the way I view the whole resort.

I went to the agreed place by taxi, and almost couldn't pay for the ride due to my lacking wallet. It was embarrassing really, although I don't know how I let it get to that point. It seemed like I had to start working part-time again if I still wanted to pay my bills. And I did. Otherwise, my eviction would be the top story at the family dinner table on the next holiday.

The helicopter was there, ready for the passengers to get on, and I had a hunch that I was the last one to arrive. I didn't plan on a cool entrance, but apparently, I could either act cool or make a fool of myself in front of the others. People I probably don't even know. I pushed the curly strands out of my face, knowing that I would have to put them up later if I didn't want my hair to look like a bird's nest. Because it was curly, it was rather hard to take care of, and I was thoroughly regretting not braiding it.

My hair philosophy was cut short by my uncle, who clapped a hand on my shoulder with a large grin. I murmured a quick hello, and let him push me toward the helicopter, where a handful of people were already sitting. I cursed myself for not being more polite as John practically kicked me onto the vehicle, resulting in me, almost falling onto my face. It was elegant, really.

"Everyone, this is my niece," John stated after the quizzical looks. "Maya Hyde."

"I'm Ellie Sattler," The blond woman introduced herself instantly, pushing out her hand toward me. I gladly accepted it with a bright smile. "And this is Alan Grant."

At that name, my heart skipped a beat. There was no way my face didn't turn surprised, since Ellie's smile only managed to get wider, and even Dr. Grant seemed to turn a bit amused. I've heard all about him during my university years, and I've even read his book on dinosaurs, which made it my personal goal to write a book as well. If somebody was good at their job, they had to have at least one book up their sleeve. At least that was how the world seemed to work. And I didn't want to be the odd one out.

"Perhaps you've heard of him?" John grinned, and I was merely inches away from rolling my eyes at him.

"Of course, I did! Your book was fantastic Dr. Grant!" I praised quickly, and now that I was sounding like a proper fangirl, I knew I needed to cut back. "Sorry. That was loud. And sudden."

"Thank you..." Dr. Grant mumbled simply, making me shut up instead.

"I would say to get through the other introductions, but they didn't arrive yet," John sighed, sitting down beside Ellie. I lowered myself into the seat opposite him.

"Oh, we are here!" A man shouted quickly, dragging his rectangular bag with him. He looked like a lawyer, dressed properly in a suit and tie, making it look like everyone else was horribly underdressed. Even myself.

After a moment, another man captured my attention, who was mostly dressed in all black, with slightly tinted glasses shielding his eyes. I tried to rack my mind in case I'd seen or heard of him before, but it was blank and got even more so the second he ran a hand through his black curls. He was handsome, but definitely older than me, so I quickly ripped my eyes away from him. Never in my life have I been with someone much older, since my mother was somehow already horrified when I told him I was going out with a guy six years older than me. Yeah, he ended up being a psycho-narcissist as well.