CHAPTER THREE: Life Finds A Way

═════════•°• ⚠️ •°•═════════

In the main building, it wasn't so damn hot anymore, especially where my uncle took us, a little cinema-like room, where footage of him instantly started playing once we all sat down. It was strange, as he played out how cloning was supposed to be working. It looked like we were watching some weird kids' show, but then again, I was astonished, just like everybody else, and when Alan was too excited to stay put, I helped push away the metal bars to get out of our seats.

We went to where everything began, the lab area, and I lightly pushed Ian out of the way to see what was happening. I scanned the room until I found the dino eggs, and ran down the short stairs in a hurry, ignoring my grumbling uncle who tried to hold me back. Alan and Ellie hurried after me, and I gasped as I watched one of the eggs move. It was hatching, that was clear, and I was about to see the process of it.

I was pushed to the side by one of the researchers, and my uncle quickly slipped on a pair of gloves, ready to be the one to help the dino out of the egg for the first time. To be completely honest, the process was a bit disgusting, but I was so intrigued that I didn't even have the time to take that into consideration. Especially with how my uncle was cooing at it like it was a little kitten.

"I've been present for the birth of every little creature on this island," He boasted, but Ian quickly leaned forward to interrupt.

"Surely not for the ones that have bred in the wild," He commented, and I looked at the researcher in front of me for answers.

"Actually, they can't breed in the wild," He replied, causing me to frown. "Population control is one of our security precautions. There's no unauthorized breeding in Jurassic Park."

"And how do you make sure of that?" I straightened a little, trying to get my uncle's coos out of my earshot.

"All the animals are female," He explained. "We've engineered them that way."

The little dino was almost fully out of the egg now, and John lightly helped it get out, causing both Ellie and Alan to gasp. I was still trying to understand how they couldn't breed in the wild, but then again, the carnivores and herbivores were kept locked away from one another, so overpopulation could have easily become a problem. I understood the reason, but I also understood that nature couldn't be held back by some simple engineering either.

"But, um, again, how do you know they are all female?" Ian prodded again, and I raised my eyes to his. "What, does somebody go out in the park and pull up the dinosaurs' skirts?" I rolled my eyes at the lame joke.

"We control their chromosomes, it's really not that difficult," He responded, seemingly not one bit annoyed by Ian's way of questioning. "All vertebrate embryos are inherently female anyway. It takes an extra hormone at the right developmental stage to create a male, and we simply deny them that."

"Deny them that?" Ellie echoed quietly, her eyebrows drawing together in concern.

"John, the kind of control you're attempting here is, uh, it's not possible," Ian began his monologue. "If there's one thing that the history of evolution has taught us, it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free. Expands to new places and crashes through barriers. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But... uh well, there it is!"

For a few seconds, everyone just looked at him in complete silence. I thought what he said was true, and that something would essentially go wrong at the park, as dealing with animals whose behavioral habits were still somewhat of a mystery due to their extinction was anything but predictable. Maybe what we knew about them was the complete opposite in reality, or maybe the way they filled in their DNA changed something in them and made them different.