CHAPTER FIVE: T-rexes And Cliff Diving

═════════•°• ⚠️ •°•═════════

Tim and Lex got into the first car like previously, but this time, I sat in the backseat of the second one, after Alan and Ian already got into the front. Ian looked back at me with a surprised face, but the sides of his mouth quirked up as I leaned back in my seat. Someone seemed glad that I chose to spend more time with him.

That reminded me that I was practically glued to his side today, which must have come off a bit strange for outsiders. I genuinely didn't know my own intentions either. He was probably just looking for some casual fun, and who was I to want more? We didn't know each other well enough yet to make any judgment, so right now, it was only the attraction in control for me, which barely happened in the past. I was always wanting a proper relationship, maybe even too fast, and that led to many exes, some of who still stalk me today.

It started raining, the droplets hitting the car so hard that the glass above our heads shook with it. I didn't like it at all, how everything got dimmer, and how I couldn't see into the trees anymore. It looked more terrifying in the dark, that was for sure, and only that started to develop a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

"You don't like rain?" Alan questioned, glancing back at me. I must have worn a pretty scared face.

"It's not that. I just don't feel very comfortable with the fact that we have, apparently, dinosaurs around us and it's getting dark," I shrugged, keeping my eyes on the two men in front of me instead of the glum weather.

"Now that you said that," Ian sighed a little. "I feel, um, a bit strange too."

"At least they are behind some pretty tall electric fence," Alan tried to calm our nerves. "Do you have a boyfriend, Maya?"

"Nope," I shook my head, glad to be talking about something else. "Shit ton of exes though."

"A man-eater?" Ian smirked at me, making me roll my eyes.

"Just an unlucky girl."

"And you?" Alan looked at Ian this time. "Any Mrs. Malcolms?"

"Ex-Mrs. Malcolms," He nodded, but he was smiling. "And three kids."

"Damn," It slipped out, but Ian only chuckled at my reaction.

"My first wife moved very far away with my first two, so I don't get to see them at all," He explained as the thunder rumbled above us. "I keep contact with my other kid, though. My girl."

"And you, Alan?" I glanced at him, trying to process all the information. He really was older than me, but I haven't felt it until now.

"No wife, no kids," He said, peering out through the windshield.

"But you are with Ellie, right?" I inquired, probably too nosey for my own good.

"Yes, we are dating," Alan responded, throwing me a look. "But we keep it lowkey, unlike you two."

"We aren't dating," I protested, glancing at Ian quickly, whose smile only grew. Shit.

"Then I'm blind."

We fell quiet after Alan's final comment, but a moment later, the car slowed to a stop, making me let out a little gasp. I really didn't mean to get scared, but I was so on edge that even that made me a bit more paranoid than I should have been.

"Oh, what did I touch?" Alan raised his hands as if it was his fault that the car shut down, looking around for a way to start it again. I leaned forward from my seat to check out what was happening, my heart beating a tad bit too fast.