CHAPTER FOUR: Calm Before The Storm

═════════•°• ⚠️ •°•═════════

It was a mess. A whole lot of mess filled with arguing. My uncle tried to prove his right, that his park was perfect for opening and it would be a huge and successful business, but apparently, everybody else thought otherwise. It was mostly Ian who voiced his thoughts about the flaws of his park, and after my uncle gave me a pointed look that supposedly made me want to back him up, I told him that it was too dangerous. He was visibly disappointed, and turned to his two loveable experts, only to find out that nobody was on his side except for the lawyer.

I excused myself from the table halfway to make a phone call with my mother, mostly to tell her how my uncle was truly a lunatic when it came to his crazy ideas, and even though she tried to pry about what he was up to, I thought it was better not to freak her out yet. If she found out that I was on the same island as carnivorous dinosaurs, she would be making her way here even with a little boat and beating both me and my uncle senseless. Me? I don't know why, but she would. Him? There would be much more reasoning behind that, I'm sure.

When I finally dared to make my way back to the dining area, I found that everyone was gone, and it was only Ian standing nearby with a look on his face that possibly meant that he would rather jump off the nearest building than be on the same island as my uncle. I understood him on a deep level, maybe that was what drove me to go up to him spontaneously.

"Hey," I greeted softly, watching his furrowed eyebrows relax. "Where are the others?"

"Hopefully far away from here," He grumbled lowly, making me grin. "But we probably have to find them, uh, unless you want to get out of here."

"Are you proposing the idea that we should just...leave?" I smirked, taking a step closer to him as I lowered my voice. His lips immediately pulled into a playful smile, going along with the way my tone changed.

"We can't leave, but maybe we can, um, make things more fun in one of the spare rooms around here?" He offered me a toothy grin, and I pursed my lips, pretending to think.

"But Dr. Malcolm, we can't possibly do that, can we?" I asked sweetly. "It for sure would be more thrilling beside the t-rex's place..."

Ian's eyes darkened considerably once I referred to him as 'doctor', and it made my heart hammer in my chest as I looked at him. I told myself we were just playing around, but I couldn't help but stare into his dark eyes as his glasses were finally out of his face and slid right into his black curls. I felt my stomach drop as his eyes skidded down to my lips for a single second before settling on my eyes again, causing a blush to spread on my cheeks.

"Maya!" I heard a familiar, yet out-of-place voice yell my name, making me jump back from Ian whilst clearing my throat.

I heard his chuckle as I looked at one of my cousins running up to me with a bright smile. I only had seen him on holidays before, but I felt the need to congratulate my uncle for bringing his grandkids to one of the top dangerous places in the world right now which he created. Props to him, really.

"Tim!" I said, much less enthusiastically than him, but he didn't notice as he jumped into my arms. "What are you doing here?"

"Grandpa told me to come to get you because we are going to be leaving!" He replied, clearly happy that he was given such an important task.

"Your, uh, timing is great, buddy," Ian spoke up, his voice dripping with sarcasm, making me bite the inside of my cheek to stop a laugh.

"Who are you?" The little boy looked up at the lanky man behind me. The way he had to tilt his head so far made me realize that he truly towered over all of us.