CHAPTER EIGHT: Raptor Food

═════════•°• ⚠️ •°•═════════

I was finished with my second slice of cake when I noticed Lex go very still beside me, her jelly shaking with her hand as she stared over the head of Tim opposite her. Slowly, I bumped my elbow into Ian, then trailed my eyes over to where Lex was staring, feeling my heart jump up to my throat. My hunger quickly disappeared as I watched the shadow of a velociraptor pass us, biting down on my lip to keep any noise from escaping my throat.

Ian slowly stood beside me, tugging me up with him as he reached over for Tim shakily. Lex got up as well, taking her brother by the arm and fleeing to the kitchen, while Ian looked at me like he was signaling that we had to get that thing's attention and get it away from the kids. I drew in a shaky breath as I nodded my head to his unsaid words, but shook it almost instantly as he tried to push me under one of the tables.

We didn't have much time to decide though, as the raptor raised its head in alarm once the kitchen door closed shut, and moved out from behind the painting, causing us both to duck behind the table. Ian kept his hand over my mouth as he tried to see what the raptor was doing, his eyes widening upon seeing that it was actually trying to open the door.

He motioned for me to get under the table, and this time, I obeyed, getting under there smoothly without making any noise. Ian tried to get under the table behind the one I was under, but he accidentally kicked a chair on his way in, causing the raptor to stop at the now-open door. I watched in horror as another one strode into the dining area, hearing the one at the door growl to its mate, clearly communicating.

A moment later, one of them entered the kitchen area, while the other began walking for my table instead, causing my eyes to go wide with fear as I stopped breathing. It approached me with ominous steps, and even though I was hidden by the tablecloth, there was no way it wouldn't find me under there. I heard it tear a cow apart yesterday, and I was no challenge for it now.

I watched as it leaned down to my level, sticking the end of its snout under the cloth between two chairs to sniff around. I bit down hard at my lip as I stared at it, completely frozen, knowing that if it actually found me, that was the end for me. Except it actually pushed his whole head in with a growl, suddenly making eye contact with me.

I automatically screamed, kicking out with my feet and successfully kicking the wooden chair against it. It stuck its clawed hand in, running it along my leg, leaving a long cut as it tried to tear its way in under my table. I heard the other velociraptor roar inside the kitchen, alerting the one in front of me, and making it stop moving for a second. I sucked in a harsh breath as it came down back to me with full force, climbing halfway under the table, and almost successfully biting my leg.

As quickly as I could, I slid out at the other end of the table, pushing the chairs out of the way and standing up, happy that at least there was now a whole table between us, but knowing fully well that it was about to tackle me in a second. The raptor looked up slowly, its eyes meeting mine as I stumbled back, waiting for its attack.

"Hey! Over here!" Ian yelled, slamming down a chair onto the ground, successfully getting the raptor's attention.

It lunged his way, but Ian swiftly climbed under the table, resulting in the velociraptor crashing into it and a few chairs in front of it painfully. It took a few steps back, a bit surprised, but pushed the chairs out of the way this time as it made its way under the table. It couldn't quite fit, so he was essentially just pushing the table with its body to the side, probably with Ian underneath.

I looked down at my bleeding leg, then raised my head to see Lex and Tim running out of the kitchen. They screamed as soon as they noticed the raptor rummaging under the table, alerting it instantly. I sprinted over to them, grabbing their arms as I tried to make a run for it to the other door, but before the raptor even did anything, the cries of the other one echoed from the kitchens, making it freeze.