Death couldn't take him

The forest is peaceful.
Hongjoong looks at the trees as he lightly stumbles forward.
"What are you thinking about?" the rough voice of the man in front of him asks, continuing to drag him by the long end of the rope.
The man isn't being forceful yet the male probably wouldn't feel any pain even if he was. All blood has already left his wrists for good.

He sighs.
"I wonder if the forest is looking down on us right now with the intention to kill for the chaos caused or pity, because we didn't burn like the rest of them."
"I don't wish to die before my time so I don't need pity."
"It's not like their time came too. They were only boys."
The katen turns around and Hongjoong lifts his head to look in those dark eyes.

"I don't understand what boys are you referring to. The ones that burned had at least one badge on their uniforms and they certainly couldn't be called boys with their grey hair."
"There were twenty seven young men. I don't believe they all could escape the fire."
"And what if I told you they did?"
Hongjoong didn't continue the conversation and took a step past the male.
The man could tell him all he wanted, Hongjoong knew how to lie too.

"I watched as one boy ran and kneeled down on the ground. After some time he got up and gathered the rest of the soldiers. There were many of them and they didn't seem to be missing someone. I know mosavs are religious but I still found it strange. Coming closer, I saw the pit I pulled you out from and understood he was talking to you before leaving with the rest of them."

The black haired man fell into the same step as Hongjoong, which he found uncomfortable yet there was nothing he could do with the rope connecting them.
"You seem to be angry at me for possibly murdering them yet you are not angry at them for leaving you there?"
"I told them to leave me."
"Why?"

Hongjoong thinks. He isn't sure why they are talking right now, that question needs to be answered first.
Perhaps the adrenaline of near death experience hasn't left his system yet.
"The grating was too heavy for him to lift up and getting me out would take too much time if the base was half burnt already."
"I could lift it."
He turns his head to the man, who is already looking at him. His eyes settle on his frame.

"That's because you are well fed." turning his gaze back to the forest in front of them, he answers.
"And you are not?"
A chuckle escapes Hongjoong's lips. Seems like the other notices his mishap too.
His bones are almost shining through the thin layer called skin.
Thankfully, the other doesn't start talking again.

They walk through the dark.
Hongjoong notices how the taller male is well orientated in the area.
"We will be there soon."
"How lovely."
The male sighs, making Hongjoong wonder why it feels like he is a child behaving badly in front of his mother.
Probably because he was such a son to his own mom.

He can see smoke lifting up in the air. They are burning logs on this chilly night.
Hongjoong hasn't seen fire for so long. Well, a friendly one trying to warm him up, not burn him.
The closer they get, the more distinctive the screams sound.
The male raises an eyebrow up.
Hongjoong gets pulled forward as the katen fastens his pace.

In the middle of a small clearing lies three trees, placed around a fireplace. One tent stands to the left.
Four men sit on the tree in the middle and look in front of them, past the fire.
A man in the dull mustard colored uniform Hongjoong has grown to despise sits opposite of the newcomers. His face is hidden as he lets screams leave his throat.
The black, unkempt hair sticks to all directions.

Right, Hongjoong forgot to slide his fingers through those locks yesterday night.

The four katen's notice his comrade's return.
They look funny to Hongjoong. Almost scared, almost sorry for making the male opposite of them cry.
Hongjoong takes slow steps further, pulling the rope's end out of his captors hands. He lets him walk forward.
He can guess why the boy is crying.
Things have come to an end and he is alone with enemies.