Chapter Three - Dinner And More

Rhett came to his senses and flashed a warm smile at Granny Emma. "Beer will do, thanks," he said, threading his fingers through his soft mass of chocolate brown curls, drawing Adelaide's attention to it instantly. She noted how good he looked without that permanent Stetson on his head. Quickly recovering from her momentary lapse, she colored a little and rushed to get him a chilled can. She returned to find him chatting with Granny about his work, and his family members. She handed him his beer and their fingers brushed again for the second time in the day, resulting in the same reaction as before. How could that be possible?

"How's Willy? Is he managing the ranch well?" Rhett asked Granny Emma. Five years ago, after her husband's death, granny Emma could not manage the ranch on her own and approached his granny, Jenny Wilson for help. His granddad appointed their trustworthy ranch hand, Willy McCain, to help her out.

"Absolutely. The boy's a gem and I don't need to bother at all. He takes care of everything," said Granny Emma. They chatted more and Rhett finished his beer.

"Come, Rhett, dinner's getting cold." They joined their hands in prayer and then tucked into the delicious food that Adelaide had prepared for them, especially him.

"This is good, exceptionally so." A warm glow spread over Adelaide's cheeks at Rhett's appreciation, since she hadn't ever taken so much pain for anyone else before. She hated cooking until now!

"Thanks." Adelaide blushed furiously while Granny Emma concentrated on her food with a look of pure contentment on her face.

"Isn't my granddaughter exceptionally good as well?" Adelaide raised her eyebrows with surprise at Granny's embarrassing query, but Rhett chuckled, easing the atmosphere.

"No doubt about that." Adelaide blushed, feeling his eyes on her. After dinner, they cleared the table together while Granny Emma left them alone to retire to her room to rest.

"Will you go out for a walk with me?" asked Rhett, hopefully, as she wiped her hands dry.

"Okay," said Adelaide. He picked up his coat and pulled it on while she too did the same. When he held out his hand for her, it didn't at all surprise her, and she placed her hand in his large one, a sudden tingle of an electric current shooting through her at his touch. He led her outside, all the while gazing into her radiant face. The moon shone brightly, and they strolled along the clear paths of the ranch, the chilly breeze and mist surrounding them in a shroud.

"Don't you miss your home? Your mom?" asked Rhett, wanting to know more about her. She was an enigma, totally different from all the women he had met in the sleepy town of Fordsville and even Great Falls. Although she was from New York, it was surprising she had no airs about her, being soft-natured, shy, and simple, just the way he liked.

"No, there's nothing left in New York to miss. My mom's happy with my brother and his family." Rhett watched the emotions play on her features and he felt the need to be a part of her life, share every one of those feelings embedded deep inside her heart.

"Don't you miss your brother?" A hard, distant look flashed in her eyes as she slowly shook her head.

"Not at all. He's eight years older than me and a very successful oncologist, making Mom proud as well as partial towards him. He has always received differential treatment, and it has made him too arrogant. Dad was different, though. He was a cardiologist, yet he took out time for us and loved both of us equally. Andrew, my brother, was ashamed of me when I pursued nursing. He and mom tried hard to convince me to take up medicine or any other field of study. When I didn't give in to their wishes, they taunted and threw sarcastic comments at my face every day. Then he got married to a fellow doctor and separated from us, detaching himself altogether. Mom got busy with her parties and get-togethers while I completed my studies and joined Dad's hospital. We were busy with our careers. Then one day, Dad had a heart attack, and he died before we could help him. There wasn't anything left for us at home and Mom went to live with Andrew and I came here." She sighed, closing her eyes momentarily to choke back the emotions the memories evoked. Having never talked about her life with anyone before, it surprised her she spoke so much about herself to a stranger.