Chapter Thirty-Seven - Plan To Get Ember And Rex Together

They wanted to host the reception party at one of their vacant barns, where they had a sprawling tent constructed to provide more space for everyone. Freshly painted and decorated with twinkle lights and rope lights wrapped along the beams and the pillars, the barn looked picture perfect. Lanterns hanging from the rafters at regular intervals illuminated the entire place. To accommodate everyone, they arranged for two enormous dinner tables decorated with coral floral centrepieces, placed over the white table runners. There was a minibar where everyone was busy helping themselves to the Hors d'oeuvres along with their signature wedding drink when Rhett and Adelaide walked in hand in hand.

As they sat down to lunch, Rihanna jumped up to start her maid of honour speech. Finally, she finished up, and it was Rex's turn. After the toasts, they all savoured the delicious wedding lunch spread out before them. By the time everyone was done, they geared up for the first dance. Rhett led Adelaide to the dance floor while Ryder, Ryan, Rex, Ronald, and their friends were busy checking out the drinks and ogling at the girls around.

While Rihanna and the girls geared up for their dance performance after the first dance, Sawyer sat quietly in a corner with aunt Katherine. He wasn't well and aunt Katherine didn't want him to drink. He looked exhausted and pale and needed rest, but with Renée here, he refused to go inside.

The music started and everyone cheered as Rhett pulled Adelaide for the first dance. The music started playing, and Rhett and Adelaide slowly danced to the music in perfect synchronization. Rhett's mom and all the grannies wiped tears of happiness upon seeing them together. The first dance ended to a tremendous applause and everyone cheered them on for a kiss. Rhett complied and kissed his wife lingeringly.

Afterwards, the girls lined up to perform at a popular dance number while the boys cheered and clapped for the outstanding performance. Later, Renée walked up to Sawyer when the others were busy with the boys' performance led by Rhett.

Sawyer watched her as if hypnotized. "You need to rest, Sawyer," she said, catching his hand and pulling him to his feet. He didn't object, but just followed her like a lost puppy as she led him to his room. Going to his closet, she took out a pair of sweatpants and a tee shirt and placed them into his hands. He didn't ask a single question, but just started stripping out of his clothes. Renée turned around with her back towards him as he changed.

He sat down on his bed, still watching her like she would disappear if he closed his eyes. Renée covered him, but he caught her hand before she could leave.

"Let me go, Sawyer," she said hoarsely, her voice choked with tears.

"Never," he said, his voice thick with emotion.

After all the performances were over, everyone gathered around the table for the cake cutting ceremony. Rhett pulled his wife afterwards for a relaxed and romantic dance and everyone joined in. Ember sat with the grannies to avoid Rex, but he was invincible. He walked up and asked her for a dance, right in front of all. To her surprise, all the grannies pushed her with him. Rex grinned at the support and thanked the grannies, promising to treat them later while Ember rolled her eyes.

He pulled her into his arms for a dance, but to his surprise, Ember froze and stiffened, not able to move. Her face turned pale, and she just pushed him and walked away, leaving Rex staring after her. What just happened? Ember rushed to the bar to get herself a drink. She needed it so badly.

Rex felt more frustrated than ever and picked up two bottles of whiskey and walked away to his room, leaving the party.

Rhett and Adelaide later walked out when the after party was in full swing. They freshened up, changed and loading their luggage onto Rhett's truck, left for Helena. "At last, I have you to myself," said Rhett.

"But our wedding was so much fun," she admitted.

"Really? So, did you like my performance for you?"

"Yes, I loved it. I didn't know that you could dance so well?"

"I'm an all-rounder. You'll soon see," he joked, and Adelaide smiled. They checked into a beautiful sprawling luxury resort where a honeymoon suite had been prepared for them. Upon arrival, they have the newlywed couple a grand welcome and pampered them like royals. It was an experience of a lifetime for Adelaide. Everything that Rhett did made her immensely happy. They showered together and made love lingeringly on their wedding bed. There was no hurry, no stress, no obligations. They were free to just be with one another, to give each other pleasure. If this wasn't bliss, what is?

It was late when the party was over. After dinner, everyone went home. Ember was too drunk to be taken home, so granny Stacey agreed to let her sleep at the ranch house with Rihanna or Renée. As she staggered towards the ranch house, the three grannies winked at one another and followed her to complete their incomplete mission.

"Whichhh iisss Rihanna's r-rooooom? Hic," she wondered, lost in her inebriated state.

"That one," said granny Jenny, innocently pointing towards Rex's room. Ember staggered towards Rex's room and, opening the door, went inside. The room was dark, with a little night lamp in one corner. She blinked, trying to make out the bed. She saw the comfortable bed and fell asleep without a thought.

Rex walked out of the washroom and lay down on his bed, when his eyes fell upon Ember. Thinking that he was hallucinating in his drunken state, he closed his eyes and fell asleep.

The three grannies shared knowing giggles, as their plan was successful.