Chapter Twelve - Only Mine!

The whole day, Adelaide was busy and didn't have time to visit the nursing station. Therefore, lunch was a hurried affair as her timings didn't clash with anyone's. At last, her duty was over for the day, and she was in a hurry to leave, but Ember caught her the moment she entered the nursing station.

"Okay, now explain the kissing scene to me," she said, grabbing her hand and dragging her toward the window. "How did you get to kiss him in the first place?"

Adelaide told her briefly about her trip and how they kissed that magical night at the Coyote Creek cabin.

"Wow, it's so romantic! Does he have any brother whom I could kiss?" asked Ember, while Adelaide smiled at her friend's enthusiasm. She knew Ember lived at her grandparent's ranch and usually kept herself engaged in work after duty.

"In fact, he has a twin brother, Rex Wilson, who is hopelessly waiting to fall in love," laughed Adelaide, sharing her infectious mood.

"Click a picture of him to show me tomorrow else don't come to work. I mean it, girl." Adelaide laughed at Ember's threat.

"Yes, boss," saluted Adelaide. "Now, if you allow me, can I go? My carriage is waiting and my coachman is staring at our window," said Adelaide, looking at an impatient Rhett, who kept glancing at their closed window.

"You have my permission to leave, employee," she ordered in mock seriousness but rolled with laughter. Adelaide chuckled and left after a wave, walking out of the main entrance towards Rhett.

"Hi," she greeted him, aware of the way he checked her out for the second time in the day.

"Hey! Why's that window closed? I thought you had left."

"We were the last ones to leave. So, my best friend Ember closed it." Rhett nodded and helped her to his truck. He had come straight from the dairy farm, so he brought his truck along this time, although he preferred Thunderbolt when with her. Climbing in, he drove home, having waited the whole day to take her home as fast as he could before the others returned. Showing her the pictures was just an excuse to get her all to himself.

"So, how was your day?" asked Rhett, his heart skipping a beat at seeing her clad in a pair of figure-hugging jeans, a pink floral top, and a coat instead of the uniform. She must have changed for dinner. Or was it for him?

"Work, work, and more work. In our emergency ward, they brought a new patient in today, a new sixteen-year-old patient who has just survived a very major accident and is critical. Being the lone survivor amongst a group of five boys, all underage, he doesn't know that his friends are no more. It was so depressing that I couldn't help the tears every time I tended to him," said Adelaide, while Rhett listened to her intently, realizing how vulnerable and caring she was, feeling so deeply for her patients.

"Don't worry, Adel, God has saved him and He will give the young boy the strength to face the harsh truth. I'm sure his family will help him, too." Adelaide nodded, feeling much better already. Rhett could comfort her, whatever the situation might be, and he was becoming the most important person in her life, someone she could depend upon, someone she could trust even with her eyes closed.

"How was your day, Rhett?" she asked him softly.

"It's the same work for me, more or less, but I love it. I was actually waiting for your duty to get over."

"Why?"

"To see you, obviously." He drove into Wild Creek Ranch and switched off the ignition, turning to give her a heart-stopping smile. The sun had already set, and the air grew heavy and cold, but Adelaide didn't mind. She loved Wild Creek Ranch so much that the place already felt like her home. Rhett led her inside and groaned at seeing everyone was at home. Adelaide greeted everyone and hugged Granny Jenny, who asked about her own granny. She felt relaxed, having called up Granny earlier and informed her of her plans.