13. Sin city and desperate times

VARYNUS GALYNER POV

We arrived at twenty second avenue, a couple of miles away from the MCM grand. According to the address we acquired from the Pascal mansion security system, we should be very close to Paris Killian's apartment.

"Is that the building?" I pointed at a five story apartment complex a few blocks north.

"That's the one boss," Jonathan nodded, " Twenty second avenue is also the part of town with no CCTV footage along the streets, we initially suspected the mobsters that escaped last night would be here. Including Nicholas' shooter." He reminds.

It's too early to assume anything but we have yet another coincidence. And this is perhaps the biggest of them all. Maya rushing to twenty second avenue where her friend lives , this avenue also happens to be our targeted area. Perhaps there's more to find in that girl's apartment than we expected.

God help my anger if Maya Pascal had anything to do with what happened to Nicolas.

"We're going to enter that complex and grab who we came for. We'll question her at the home base. If she cooperates with us fully then we shall return Maya back to her father's house in one piece."

Jonathan stared at me, "And if not? What will you do with her?"

"Hopefully we won't find out." I told him.

We approached the building and parked the vehicles outside.

No guards I see.

"Thought after what happened last night this place would be crowded with security." Jonathan commented."But I guess with the increasing number of crimes around Fremont nobody bothers anymore."

I instructed my men to remain outside as Jonathan and I entered the complex. The building was unusually quiet , like an abandoned home. We walked silently through the hallway around the entrance and then took to the stairs.

"Boss, there's cameras around." Jonathan informed.

"Text Henry from HQ and tell him to hack those for us. I'd like to know how frequently Maya shows up here. If she's close enough to Paris then it'd be good to grab her as well. Women tell each other everything. Perhaps there's more about Nicolas that Maya can confess to me, and if she refuses , Paris will do us the honors." I uttered.

"Varynus, I doubt this girl Paris knows anything about Nick's relationship with her best friend. I mean Maya was very secretive as far as I can recall. They both promised each other that nobody would know about their Affair. Except me of course, and father."

I still find it hard to believe that my brother cheated on Julia. They have three beautiful daughters together. And he was willing to throw it all away for Maya.

Looking back, I used to think that Nick and Julia were so in love. How can someone fake feelings that well? Did Julia ever have any suspicions?

"And yet by the looks of it, Maya pascal's trail is leading us straight through the areas we initially suspected our culprits are hiding." I told him.

"May be it's just a coincidence." Jonathan defended very quickly. He has too much faith on this girl.

"Regardless, we can't assume anything solid at this stage. We need all the information we can get. I want to find out just how much each of them know. And if Maya can give us any information on Nick that would be useful. I have a feeling she knows something about Silver wheels." I said.

"How so?"

"I'll clarify it later. Let's get this done first."

I also have a hunch that somebody from the inside betrayed us. If not anybody at home then Nicholas' close associates. It's not just a coincidence that Maya and Nicolas were talking about silver wheels at my engagement ceremony and then months later for him to be shot dead by bullets with the initials Silver wheels. All this must amount to something.