CHAPTER 2 - ECoE

The next day was pretty much the same for Amy. Another day's shift at the café. As usual, Amy was exhausted when she reached home. When she closed the door, she found a brown envelope on the floor. She picked it up. It was closed with the official ECoE seal. She opened it, confused. The first piece of paper with the ECoE letterhead was a letter, which read:

************************

Dear Amethyst Chase,

I am delighted to inform you have offered a full scholarship with the University of Constance to study BSc Engineering with placement year, fully funded by Eukatian Company of Engineering (ECoE).

Please see attached your Terms and Conditions. Should you choose to accept this offer, please fill in and return your Acceptance form to HR@ECoE.euk no later than a week of the date on this letter. Any liaison to the University of Constance regarding this scholarship will be made through ECoE.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Rebecca Yard

ECoE HR Manager

Phone: 01112223444

Email: Rebecca.Yard@ECoE.euk

************************

In shock, Amy decided to telephone Rebecca Yard's number.

She picked up after 3 rings. "Hello? ECoE HR. Rebecca Yard speaking. How may I help you?"

"Hi, I'm Amethyst Chase," Amy answered. "I received a scholarship offer letter from ECoE, in my hands, literally now."

"Congratulations, dear," Rebecca said. "Mr. Riviera requested that you be put through to him when you call. Bear with me one second."

Before Amy could say anything, she got put through to Ethan.

"Hello, Amy," Ethan greeted.

"You gave me a scholarship," Amy asked bluntly, making Ethan chuckle. "How? – Why? – I mean ... I'm confused."

"After our conversation in the car, I realized you do not actually stand even then tiniest chance against the other internship candidates with no prior experience," Ethan explained. "You would not get the position, simply put. However, I was extremely impressed upon hearing about your Sixth Form Technology project and your ideas. I know talent when I see it. So I want you for my company."

"Oh," Amy breathed. "Well, thank you. Umm ... thank you. I never thought I'd be able to go university hence why I was looking for an internship in the first place."

"Well, you have a lot of potential and I want you to tap into it," Ethan said simply. "Your degree will help you do that, since you are going down the academic route, I think university is a good place to start. The placement year should help you with experience."

"I-I am – wow," Amy stammered. "Wait, don't you need to do background checks?"

"Informally I have done them. Formally they need to be done."

"I am not complaining about that at all," Amy cleared her throat. "I can't help but ask, you barely know me. Why would you do this for me?"

"Here's something you should know about me," Ethan replied, "I will do anything and everything for ECoE. It is my family's legacy. I think having you would be very beneficial for ECoE. So do your degree and placement year, which I recommend you should do at the end of the degree. And then, we will see what position is suitable for you."

"That's ... um thank you," Amy stammered. "I'm really grateful to you."

"It's a win-win situation for both of us, darling, so don't thank me," Ethan smirked. "Well, I have work to be done. I look forward to receiving your paperwork."