CHAPTER 7 - His Home

Ethan drove through the narrow lane surrounded by trees to the main gate of his mansion, where she had once been for the Visor dinner.

A valet bowed to Ethan and took the car from him. Ethan unlocked the door and let Amy in.

"You know I've never brought a lady home before," Ethan admitted as she walked in.

"Then how do you have such a playboy reputation?" Amy asked without thinking.

"Do I need to bring women home to be known as a playboy?" Ethan asked in return, amused, as a doorman closed the main door. This innocence of hers was what he fell for. There, he admitted it to himself.

"No," Amy blushed. "I just assumed ..."

She realised she had put herself in a very nerve-wrecking position.

"Are we alone?" she asked.

"Yes, I live alone," Ethan smirked walking up to her.

Suddenly the huge Entrance Hall seemed even more bigger.

"But you need not worry, darling," he said softly. "I respect you. I want do at some point formerly court you, and if all goes well, in time, propose to you."

Amy choked on her own breath.

"That's thinking far and fast," she cleared her throat.

"You've been through a lot," Ethan said softly, changing the topic. "One of the maids, Eleanor, will take care of you." He turned to the doorman. "Ask for Eleanor." The doorman bowed and walked off.

"It's okay," Amy said nervously. "I can take care of myself. I don't need a maid."

"Yes you do," Ethan insisted before sighing. "Let me explain. We Sandonnians take very good care of our women. When I say very, I mean very. We spoil them, quite literally."

"But I can take care of myself!" Amy defended.

"You will have a maid to tend to your needs," Ethan repeated. "And umm ... in my culture, men and women do not stay together, even in the same room, before marriage to prevent people from becoming the sort of person I was before I met you, which is why I didn't know how to respond when you asked if you could come around ..."

"I-I didn't know," Amy stammered. "I feel so insensitive. I know nothing of Sandonnian culture. If I knew, I would never request to come with you. Even with you asking me on our date, I assumed you'd be okay ..."

"I am more than okay," Ethan assured. "I'm glad you feel comfortable around me. You Eukatians took the 'no dating before marriage' from our culture. But seriously, I never thought I'd be one to follow the traditions of my country until I met you. But now I understand why we do the things we do. It's out of respect for women and I never used to respect women before you."

"What about me made you respect women?" Amy asked slowly, smiling.

"Everything about you," Ethan admitted. "The women in my life other than you are manipulative and schemers, and always wanted something. But you, you are a pure soul."

"Thank you," Amy said softly. "Thank you for saving me too."

"Don't thank me," Ethan groaned. "You were in the mess because of me in the first place."

A woman in a floor-length maid's uniform walked up to them and curtsied. She had dark hair like Ethan's and milky skin. Amy reckoned those features were typical of the people of Sandonnia.

"Eleanor, this is Amy, an ECoE employee," Ethan introduced. "She will be spending the night here in the guest room suite. Please assist to all of her needs. Make arrangements now." He then turned to Amy. "If you need anything, just call me."