Chapter 9

The weirdo on maple Street

Byers household

The screen showed Johnathan scrapping something from the frying pan onto 2 plates.

"All right, mom. Breakfast is ready." Johnathan said as he went to pit a plate down infront of her.

"What? No, be careful of the poster." Joyce said as she moved the posters over with her free hand seeing as she had a cigarette in her other one.

"Yeah. okay. alright" Johnathan rushed out as he continued to put the plate down being careful of the poster.

"I can't eat." Joyce sighed as she looked down at the plate.

"I just need you to eat, mom." Jonathan said softly.

"Listen. listen, the Xerox place opens in like 30 minutes." Joyce said as she checked her watch sniffling slightly.

"Yeah."

"And I dont want you to go alone..." Joyce rambled

"No, I know. I told you I got it." Jonathan cut his mum off but she Kept rambling.

"...so im gonna have Karen take you, 'cause I should be here."

"Okay."

"We need to make, what, 200, 300 copies?" Joyce asked mainly herself but looked at Jonathan before asking "how much is a copy"

People in the great hall couldn't help but pity Joyce especially the mothers.

"Yeah, okay, okay mom-"

"Ten cents?"

"Mom-"

"If we..  ten cents"

"Mom. Mom. Mom!" He said louder finally catching her attention

"You can't get like this, okay?" He said softly

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry"  Joyce apologised

"Its okay" Jonathan reassured putting his hand on her back to try and calm her down.

There were kicks on the door causing Joyce to  take a drag of her cigarette before getting up to answer it.

"We've been waiting six hours" Joyce stressed with a sigh after seeing who it was.

"I know. I came as soon as i could" Hopper said tiredly as he closed the door

"Six hours" Joyce said slowly clearly annoyed

"A little bit of trust here, alright?"Hopper asked rhetorically. "We've been searching all night. went all the way to cartersville."

"And?"

"Nothing"

"God" Joyce said scared as she began to sniffle trying not to cry.