16 | MY LITTLE BUTTERCUP

IT'S CALLED THE 'TREE OF SHAME.'

☆︎ SEPTEMBER, 1997 ☆︎

"My life is over."

"Your life is not over."

"Cici is abandoning me!"

"No, she is not. You're being dramatic."

"She's moving into the Omega Beta Zeta house next semester! That's roommate abandonment!" Indiana shouted. She was in Jackson and Derek's room with them, as was Hallie. "I'm being abandoned, not dramatic."

"Members are required to live in the house for at least one semester," Derek told her. "It's the same with OKB but for a whole year." Derek had also been accepted into the fraternity of his choosing, but no one really celebrated like they had for Cici because the spot had basically been handed to him because of his father. "I'm gonna wait and move in my sophomore year, though."

"Yeah, then me and Randy are gonna room together," Jackson chimed in. He was tossing a small, plastic basketball at the toy hoop on the back of his door. Indiana was sitting under the hoop and would catch the ball to throw back to him.

And while she was returning the ball to him, she was processing the fact that Cici was moving out in January. Deep down, Indiana understood. And at least she would only be gone for a semester and not a whole year like some of the other sororities required. She also knew that she'd still see Cici in classes every day.

The real reason Indiana was so distraught was because she was scared that she wouldn't want to come back and be her roommate again after she got a taste of living with her sisters. Sure, they'd only known each other for a month, but Cici was one of those friends for life — at least, Indy was hoping she was. As selfish as it was, Indiana wanted Cici all to herself and didn't want to share with the Omega Beta Zetas.

"Well, good for fucking you, Jax," Indiana responded, rolling her eyes. "But I don't have a Randy to fall back on and room with. Sidney has Hallie. You have Randy. Cici and Derek have their Greek life. Who do I have?"

"Film dork," Hallie answered, not even looking up from her book. Instead of throwing the basketball back at Jackson, Indiana aimed it at the girl. Hallie looked at her with wide eyes, laughing at her childish response. "Hey! Girl, was I lying? You two are attached at the hip when you're together."

"No," she denied. "Me and Jax are attached at the hip. If any guy was worth making my roommate, it'd be him."

"Well, they wouldn't let them be roommates anyway," Derek spoke up, chuckling. "The RAs already have strokes whenever they catch someone breaking visitation hours to sneak a girl in."

"Cici just has guys climb up the huge tree right outside our window," Indiana informed him. "It's called the 'Tree of Shame.' If I'm awake early enough on the weekends, I like to get up and watch all the boys on that side of the building try to climb down. Me and the other girls throw shit and catcall them."