20 | I LOVE YOU

I AM NOT THAT FUCKING SAPPY!

☆︎ NOVEMBER, 1997 ☆︎

If Indiana was a slightly different person, she'd be embarrassed by how her friends were acting at her very first basketball game. The first one of the season wasn't even at Windsor — they traveled two hours to a college in Michigan. While Indiana rode up on a bus with her team, all of her friends filed into Jackson's van and met them there.

Now, as she ran up and down the court, her entire friend group was seated on the first row of bleachers. Hallie and Sidney were holding up a sign up that read 'Have No Fear! #33 Is Here!' while Cici was making use of her old cheerleading knowledge despite Windsor's actual cheerleaders on the sidelines. Randy was being forced to hold a cheap, flimsy pom-pom that was their school colors of blue and yellow.

On the slightly more embarrassing side, Jackson and Derek, ever the sports fanatics, had their shirts off with Indiana's number and last name painted on their chests. Given it was November in Michigan, they'd have to bundle back up before leaving the gym.

Mickey was dutifully documenting the whole game with his camera, keeping it aimed at Indiana most of the time — she didn't sit out much and was one of the best players, he quickly learned. Every now and then, he'd capture their friends doing something funny or watch as Jackson shouted at the referee, claiming he made a bad call.

As it turned out, Indiana was a very aggressive basketball player, which her college friends were quickly learning. She may have been one of the shorter girls on the court at only 5'10" but that didn't stop her from being the best defensive player on the team. Shot after shot was blocked by her as she'd steal the ball and return it to their side of the court. And Coach Bacchus was clearly encouraging her aggressiveness as he shouted orders at her from the sidelines.

"Fucking go, Indy!" Mickey proudly shouted when she got her hands on a rebound and returned it to their side, making a goal from the three-point line. "That's my girl!"

Then seconds after the teams were on the other side of the court, Indiana and her teammate, Megan, were swooping in, stealing the ball once again.

"I believe the biting stories now," Hallie mumbled as Indiana rammed into a girl's side who was trying to get past, knocking the Michigan player down. But it looked enough like a pick that the referee let it slide, and the play continued with Meagan getting the ball and running it to their hoop.

"One time at Woodsboro, the coach told her to intentionally foul another player hoping to injure her because she was that good," Sidney admitted. "Indy did it and broke the girl's arm. She was out for the season."

"And we won that game," Jackson said, grinning.

"Isn't that ethically wrong?" Derek asked, frowning deeply. He was going to be a doctor after all.